Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Shakes after Cam Install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 08:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low HP, motor shakes, knock retard....

I got to see my car yesterday after H & C went on....

I have a '99 with TEA 5.3's, Futral F10 cam, LS6 intake, ported stock TB, ASP pulley, FLP's, no cats, B & B catback, 6 speed, 10 bolt w/4.10's

The motor has a cyclical shake now and according to the data logs, knock retard all over the place.

Let me explain what it does... I wish I had a vid... it runs smooth for a second or 2. Then, it starts to shake side to side until the whole motor is jumping around pretty good. Then it will start to smooth out. Then run smooth for a second or 2. Then starts to shake a little. Then shakes side to side again. If Im sitting in the car, the gear shift follows along as described. It's a cycle. Smooth then shake. Smooth then shake.

The car only dyno'd 395 HP and power fell off before 6000rpm. For comparison, he had my graph alongside a car with cam and stock heads and it kicked my car's *** . Sorry, I don't have the graph with me or the ability to post it. The guy tuning it says I should be making a lot more power with the pimp heads and cam I'm running plus full bolt-ons.

The low HP along with the shake and the knock retard has got me bummed. It's still at the shop being worked on but I was just hoping for some thoughts / opinions.

I called Futral just to get an opinion but theyre not in yet.

I don't know if this makes sense, but could the cam not be installed correctly according to it's specs? You know, straight up or advanced?

Last edited by Fastt Gunn; 06-10-2004 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

My friends car shook like popcorn in a popcorn maker after his cam, he changed motor mounts and all is well now.
-Steve
Old 06-10-2004, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by v8maro
My friends car shook like popcorn in a popcorn maker after his cam, he changed motor mounts and all is well now.
-Steve
Ok, good info.... Thanks. Was it in a cycle like I described? Or did it just shake a lot?

Still concerned about low HP and knock retard....
Old 06-10-2004, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I had the original G5 cam my car shook like crazy. Therearview mirror was useless. It would shake JUST LIKE YOU DESCRIBED. Smmoth than shake, smooth than shake. This is normal with some of these cams.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bear
When I had the original G5 cam my car shook like crazy. Therearview mirror was useless. It would shake JUST LIKE YOU DESCRIBED. Smmoth than shake, smooth than shake. This is normal with some of these cams.
Thanks Bear... that makes me feel a little better
Old 06-10-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Junkie

The Shaking is normal but you need to find where that knock is coming from. How high is your timing? What is the a/f on the dyno? Also if it is falling off before 6 grand you may have valve float. Can you post the dyno graph so we can see it?
Old 06-10-2004, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Tranny lines or something rattling together on during the shaking?
Old 06-10-2004, 10:51 AM
11 Second Club

Mine does this same shake. It probably is normal, but I just had poly mounts installed because my exhaust would hit the k-member and floorboard when the clutch was chattering and the motor was move violently. However, I wasn't getting any knock retard.

Peace,
Josh
Old 06-10-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have some shake too, just natural with a big cam like the X3 that I have.

Josh - I have the Paceshitters too, my driver side header knocks the k-member too, and I get some knock at the top end, I ordered Poly motor mounts and they should be here real soon, did they get rid of the knocking of the headers/y-pipe???
Old 06-10-2004, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its nuts dude, they used my car to make the damn headers!, and they still hit on MY car. I have Kenny Brown DDSFC's and they knew that since they had my car.... They used another car I recommended too to fit some stuff and when I went back to get my stuff installed, the y-pipe they made hit the KBDDSFC's and wouldn't fit, they made the y-pipe on the other stock car and they had to cut part of the bend out and fix it to fit mine, I couldn't believe it. I know Fred (just from this deal) the GM and have requested a new drivers side header, but he is dragging on this. I will see how the mounts help and I will clearance the member too a little. I was upset that I gave my car to them for 3 days to make these headers and they hit, etc.

I am seriously considering some QTP's, but don't want to spend the money on headers when I have a set already. Depressing for sure!
Old 06-10-2004, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I dunno, it shakes pretty strong for a Futral 228/228 cam. Ive run stuff liek 230/234 and ran smoother then that, maybe his motor mounts are just shot.

On the other hand, I cant get the car to make power. Timing is not above 27 degrees after 4200 or so, and thats where it knocks. knocks cruising down the road at 2000-2400 and transition to helathy throttle almost all the time
Old 06-11-2004, 12:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only change was the cam swap? Did you change anything like exhaust, move things under the hood ect?

Quick Reply: Motor Shakes after Cam Install?