Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 TA Blown Head gasket or cracked block? Best options for repair in Houston.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99 TA Blown Head gasket or cracked block? Best options for repair in Houston.

Hello all. I'm new to the board and this is my first post. I live in Houston Texas. Maybe someone in the area can point me in the right direction or help me find or sell me parts.

The car drove home ok, but now it will barely start and barely run without clutching and has steam coming out of the exhaust, oil in the water and I dropped the oil and was full of water.

A mechanic told me it's most likely the head gasket and would charge me $1050 plus milling the heads, plus new bolts and gaskets. This will run about $1700 to get the stock 853 heads replaced.

The question Is, does anyone think the block May be cracked as well, or could it be something else?

If it's just the heads, I was thinking of putting a set of 243 or 799 heads on by myself. I can get a complete pair for from AI for about $750. Does anyone have a good set for cheaper

Next question, the motor has 103k miles, and Thunderbolt will install a rebuilt Ls1 with 3 year warranty for $3150 total. It seems like a good deal. Does anyone have experience with them. Does anyone think I should replace the engine since the mileage is kind of high and since this ordeal happened or just do a heads and cam swap?

Last edited by Fullblast; 11-29-2015 at 05:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-11-2015, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is very hard to blow a mls head gasket that ls1s came with. i would be hesitant to bank on that being the issue, especially if you were beating it.

Begin with a compression/leak down test. Is there any coolant in the oil, look around the motor for visible coolant leaks. 1700$ for stock 853 heads is rediculous i wouldnt even consider that route.

If you are mechanically inclined enough to diagnose and make the repairs yourself, dig into it yourself and determine which route is most suitable for your budget. If not take it to a qualified ls shop with some sort of resume as ls1s are just small blocks but theyre far from the old 350 in a 80s camaro whose tolerances can be set with a ruler.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

You very well might have blown a head gasket (or cracked a head) if you are driving around racing people like an idiot with low coolant first day you drive the car like a newb. Let me guess, you're 17 years old.... Was the low coolant light on when you were doing this? How hot did the temp gauge get during/after the shenanigans? Did it overheat the engine? Did you pull over immediately when it got hot?

1 day of driving an f-body and blowing something up is not a good omen...perhaps selling it for a Corolla is a wiser decision!

Last edited by ahritchie; 11-11-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, there is oil like sludge in the water. A bunch of gunk under the oil cap, and I had the oil changed and they said it was full of water.

If not the head gasket, what could it possibly be?
Old 11-11-2015, 01:20 PM
TECH Regular

The motor will hardly run now, or drive without this nasty bogging sound. It's hard to.start and keep running.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Get a compression test, sucks to learn things the hard way! I guarantee you will NEVER drive/abuse another car with low coolant the rest of your life however on the positive side of things!
Old 11-11-2015, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

For your info Ahritchie....I raced a guy for 15 seconds on the way home right after buying the car. There was no low coolant light on. The engine never overheated and never went over 205-210 degrees! It started steaming water and I drove it home. Now it won't run. For all I know it was going when I bought it, which is why he sold so cheap.

I'm a 34 year old vet who bought a new car and now I'm into it for $5000 and I come on.here asking for help and instead I get flamed, called a child and an idiot by Ahritchie. You have no respect and think your a big man, who hides behind his computer working his finger muscles pretending to be a man. I would love for you to call me an idiot to my face, oh wait....you wouldn't.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fullblast
For your info Ahritchie....I raced a guy for 15 seconds on the way home right after buying the car. There was no low coolant light on. The engine never overheated and never went over 205-210 degrees! It started steaming water and I drove it home. Now it won't run. For all I know it was going when I bought it, which is why he sold so cheap.

I'm a 34 year old vet who bought a new car and now I'm into it for $5000 and I come on.here asking for help and instead I get flamed, called a child and an idiot by Ahritchie. You have no respect and think your a big man, who hides behind his computer working his finger muscles pretending to be a man. I would love for you to call me an idiot to my face, oh wait....you wouldn't.
"I think the car was low on water which contributed to this." Well you are the one who said you were racing with low coolant; what did you think would happen when you are racing putting very high stress on the cooling system with potential air pockets in it? And yeah you kinda are an idiot street racing the first day you get the car with questionable coolant levels... Good luck with the repairs!
Old 11-12-2015, 09:54 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Hello all. I'm new to the board and this is my first post. I live in Houston Texas. Maybe someone in the area can point me in the right direction or help me find or sell me parts. I bought a 99 Trans am with a 6 speed the other day with 103k miles. It has a Fast intake, Fast throttle body, Mac long tubes and straight pipes to a Borla exhaust. The car ran perfect for 1 day before it blew a head gasket. I raced an 09 G8 and beat it, so the motor seems to have great compression.After the race, I got stuck in traffic in the heat for half an hour and the head gasket blew (I believe/hope this is the problem.) I think the car was low on water which contributed to this. The car drove home ok, but now it will barely start and barely run without clutching and has steam coming out of the exhaust, oil in the water and I dropped the oil and was full of water. A mechanic told me it's most likely the head gasket and would charge me $1050 plus milling the heads, plus new bolts and gaskets. This will run about $1700 to get the stock 853 heads replaced. The question Is, does anyone think the block May be cracked as well, or could it be something else? If it's just the heads, I was thinking of putting a set of 243 or 799 heads on by myself. I can get a complete pair for from AI for about $750. Does anyone have a good set for cheaper I may also have a mechanic install a Texas speed 224 or 226 cam. Then I will get the computer reflashed. Do I need better springs, lifters, or rockers for the bigger cam? Next question, the motor has 103k miles, and Thunderbolt will install a rebuilt Ls1 with 3 year warranty for $3150 total. It seems like a good deal. Does anyone have experience with them. Does anyone think I should replace the engine since the mileage is kind of high and since this ordeal happened or just do a heads and cam swap? Last question, If I flush the cooling system and add Bars leaks gasket seal, do you think it will run a little while longer until I get it fixed? I just bought the car this weekend and would like to drive it for a little while if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm really pissed that I only drove the car for a day.
To be perfectly honest, it sounds like the seller knew it was about to give.

My advice is bound to be more cautious than most, but you will have fewer chances of problems long term. If you decide to keep the car.

1. Recommend getting a 6.0 or 6.2 short block. Used is fine. These LS bottom ends are phenomenal. But if I'm questioning my block, I would not risk it. If rather have the piece of mind.

2. 243 or 799 heads are a great investment. I would not keep the 853 heads myself if I was questioning their integrity. Ported by a reputable porter is very good money spent as well.

3. Cam, I would look into tick street heat 2 LS2 version. 231/235 or similar size. However, with any decent cam you will want / need long tube headers or it'll be counter productive.

4. Intake, try to find a used LS6 intake.

That combination, while not a perfect optimized combination, would be a very reliable, fun combination that will outrun most street machines, on about as tight a budget you can do. Would easily last another 100K.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:08 AM
9 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default I think i know what car you bought

Im guessing this is the one you bought

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5302469839.html

I went to look at it, i passed for reasons . Iv owned f bodys for 8 years now . I know when ones have problems. Like the guy said above that guy knew what was going on with it as did i and that's why i passed.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by soloman369
Im guessing this is the one you bought

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5302469839.html

I went to look at it, i passed for reasons . Iv owned f bodys for 8 years now . I know when ones have problems. Like the guy said above that guy knew what was going on with it as did i and that's why i passed.
Yeah, that's suspiciously cheap for a 6spd ...If it sounds too good to be true it probably is....
Old 11-12-2015, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to the Texas members section and post this, look for a guy named Bad Chad and get in touch with him.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah that's the one I bought. I actually got it for $4600 cash. He was selling for $6800, then dropped it to $4800 one day so.I bought it. It was fun for the hour that it ran. I should have checked the coolant and everything out before driving anywhere. Stupid move on my behalf. I was thrilled to have a new ride.

I talked to Houston ls swap in Tomball and they will replace the heAds for $500 and $200 for new bolts and gaskets, and even tow the car free of charge.

Will the addition of 243 or 799 heads alone produce any difference over the 853s? Will I have to flash the cup for this mod? Ls swap says it probably has a flash since it has the fAst 102 intake and Tb, headers, straight pipe and borla, with no check engine light on.

Ls swap says to replace the cam they want to put new lifters, rods, and rockers in, and that's out of my price range right now.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude I'm telling you, In Houston you either get bent over, or know people. Look up the person I told you to in the Texas section and make a thread in there.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:45 PM

Swapping the 243's on is worth 15-20 if you do nothing else. Also the higher compression is worth some fuel economy and low end throttle response. It's a good move.

If the car has a fast 102, it's possible the heads were ported and milled. If so, then anything you do will probably need a ECU flash, because the airflow characteristics - and consequently fueling - will be significantly different. If the heads were still stock, you'll be fine without a tune on stock 243 heads, but a tune would still wake up the motor.

Lifters require head removal to replace, so if you're considering a cam swap, it would be wise to also upgrade lifters while heads are off. Most of the time LS7 lifters are fine. If you plan to go aggressive on the cam profile, then look into morel 5415 or Johnson 2116 lifters.

For a cam, call Kip at cam motion. You don't have to take my word on that. I dare you to find a review where Kip didn't take care of his customers or deliver a superior product. Many vendors are switching from comp to cam motion for their grinds for a reason.

Also, while the heads are off, it's easier to upgrade the springs vs while the heads are in the car. So, if you're considering a cam, consider doing the springs while it's easy. BTR platinum duals tend to get the best overall bang for buck reviews.

Hope all that helps point you in a direction
Old 11-12-2015, 02:19 PM

Oh, one more thing - rockers are about the easiest thing to upgrade, so I wouldn't worry about that until the cam is going in. You could also delay springs until the cam is going in, just easier to get springs done while heads are off.

For rockers, you can get the comp trunion upgrade. The stock rockers are actually quite sturdy, and unless you go >0.600" lift on the cam, there is no reason to upgrade them beyond the trunions
Old 11-12-2015, 08:34 PM
TECH Regular

I found a reputable mechanic next to me who's going to replace the heAds for a decent price. He said he'll charge $500 to clean and mill the heAds. I think these are 853 heads on there now, "possibly" ported. Gonna have to wait and see.If they are ported already, is it worth getting them milled, or will I make more power with a factory set of 243 heads over ported 853s? If the 853s are not ported already I may just see how much he will.charge to port them.

Basically what I'm asking....are ported 853s much better than stock 243s?
Old 11-12-2015, 09:10 PM

It depends on who did the porting. If "cousin Vern" did the porting with a Home Depot dremel (this does happen) i would say get the stock 243's. If they are professionally done, the ported 853 are better. You'll know right away if they were done by a pro.

I'm sort of under the assumption the heads are toast anyway though.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

Im buying an Ls6 with 60k miles monday for $2500. It also includes the ecm.

I don't need a new wiring harness or anything special to swap the Ls6 do I?

Also, should I keep my Fast intake and Throttle body over the Ls6 intake?

Thank you guys for answering my questions. The help is appreciated.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:33 PM

Im buying an Ls6 with 60k miles monday for $2500. It also includes the ecm. I don't need a new wiring harness or anything special to swap the Ls6 do I? Also, should I keep my Fast intake and Throttle body over the Ls6 intake? Thank you guys for answering my questions. The help is appreciated.
No special wiring needed. All the ls1 sensors should transfer over. Keep the fast stuff.

You made a good choice. You take a chance with that block. This way you can be far more certain everything is ok, and even if you only get a 1-year warranty you're not screwed once you drive off with it.

Quick Reply: 99 TA Blown Head gasket or cracked block? Best options for repair in Houston.