Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head/Intake/TB input

Old 11-19-2015, 08:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head/Intake/TB input

So, the stock 853s on my '99 WS6 (aftermarket retainers/springs for cam) are coming off either this weekend or next. Cylinder #4 burned a valve up completely... probably from previous owner running/driving it with a startup cam tune in it. This happened about 3 weeks after purchasing the car and 2 weeks after getting it tuned right. Car made 355 WHP on a Mustang Dyno with stock intake, stock heads and MS3 cam. Granted, I would never throw an MS3 into those conditions but it is the hand I was dealt. With the car as it was, I was able to easily walk away from 392 Challengers and a few Coyote 5.0 Mustangs, so I wasn't completely disappointed with its performance.

I have decided that when the heads come off, to put on a pair of fresh 243s LS6 heads and an LS6 intake manifold as well and get it retuned. How much power am I looking at picking up with that combination? I guess its kind of hard to tell probably, since the valve was probably already mostly on it's way out even on the dyno? 355 WHP on a Mustand dyno ends up being closer to about 390/395 WHP on a Dynojet, if you figure in the ~17% difference (on average) between the two types of dynos.

I'm cool with the car being a 400 WHP DD and don't want to go much higher with compression and smaller combustion chambers; then I have to get into fly cutting pistons for valve clearance.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

So you'll be doing stock LS6 heads with the MS3?
Old 11-19-2015, 08:54 AM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I would expect you to see a nice improvement over where you were, but the Magic Stick 3 is a max effort camshaft. It takes a well thought out setup to really see its potential. I see that it looks like your car is a 6 speed. What gears are in it? Performance wise with a camshaft this aggressive a gear swap in your 6 speed car could definitely help out in how the car performs on the street and the track.

Aaron@ThompsonMotorsports.net
Old 11-19-2015, 09:02 AM
Teching In

It's a factory gear T56. You think something along the lines of a 3.55 or 3.73 would suffice with the 10-bolt? It already would completely blast the 295 Nitto NT555's off as it was.

Yes, I'll be doing LS6 heads with LS6 intake and a retune with the MS3 that's already in the car.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Just a suggestion, but I'd get those heads worked over a little if I were you. Also I run 4.10s with the T56 on the stock 10 bolt with mods in signature and have no issues as of yet
Old 11-19-2015, 09:22 AM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I would consider a 3.73 or 4.10 gear. Obviously your weak link is the factory 10-bolt rear end, but the gear swap would help this combination a lot.

Aaron@ThompsonMotorsports.net
Old 11-19-2015, 12:38 PM
Teching In

I would send them off but I just don't have the time. I figured I would at least put something on that would yield some performance gains over what it currently has. I figure with the compression bump and additional flow, I should probably pick up about 35-40 realistically with the intake and retune.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

I got 4.10 gears n my 6 speed 235/243 cammed camaro. if I had to do over again id go with 3.90s. a little safer for the 10 bolt an a lil longer gears.. as for the intake an TB if u aint lookin to go boost with it id go ahead and get the fast 92/92 setup for a lil extra power over ls6.. Heads the trickflow as cast 220 heads are a decent flowin head that u wouldn't have to worry bout piston to valve clearance with. but u could get 243's cheaper an send them to AI in have them worked maybe to flow a lil better?
Old 11-19-2015, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by EarlyZ28!
I got 4.10 gears n my 6 speed 235/243 cammed camaro. if I had to do over again id go with 3.90s. a little safer for the 10 bolt an a lil longer gears.. as for the intake an TB if u aint lookin to go boost with it id go ahead and get the fast 92/92 setup for a lil extra power over ls6.. Heads the trickflow as cast 220 heads are a decent flowin head that u wouldn't have to worry bout piston to valve clearance with. but u could get 243's cheaper an send them to AI in have them worked maybe to flow a lil better?

See my post above. I would send them off to get work done but:

1) I cannot do that within the constraints of my budget.

and

2) Cannot afford to have that much downtime on the car considering its my DD.

If I did not have to buy springs and shocks for the car, i might have enough to do a PRC stage 1 port, but alas, springs and shocks for this car are mandatory; the Eibach Pro Kit on it sucks, and all the stock shocks are blown. The car is borderline unsafe to drive right now with the suspension in it's current state.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rugbyguitargod
See my post above. I would send them off to get work done but:

1) I cannot do that within the constraints of my budget.

and

2) Cannot afford to have that much downtime on the car considering its my DD.

If I did not have to buy springs and shocks for the car, i might have enough to do a PRC stage 1 port, but alas, springs and shocks for this car are mandatory; the Eibach Pro Kit on it sucks, and all the stock shocks are blown. The car is borderline unsafe to drive right now with the suspension in it's current state.
Sorry was just suggestions.. Didn't pay attention to above postings... Anyways Goodluck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Head/Intake/TB input