Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lq4 build help

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lq4 build help

Looking for some advice on parts for my build. I picked up an LQ4 at the junkyard with roughly 300k miles. My intention is to turbo the engine and hope to see between 600-700rwhp when done. (I will be running a ported LS3 top end)

The engine has been completely disassembled and actually looks pretty damn good for that many miles. Now I'm getting ready to drop the block off at the machine shop and replace internals (reusing crank)

I'm looking for some advice on the following things, keep in mind I want to "do it right" but still keep it reasonable as my pocket book is not bottomless:

Which rod and piston combo would you recommend?
Which head gasket for optimal compression?
Do I need to upgrade bearing cap bolts along with rod bolts and head bolts, or is rod and head sufficient?

Thanks
Old 11-22-2015, 09:25 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I would suggest Callies rods and Wiseco pistons with a dish to lower compression ratio.

GM LS9 head gaskets are really popular with boosted guys and seem to work well.

The rod bolts in the Callies rods are already ARP. The main bolts don't really need to be replaced with studs at that power level, so I would reuse them. Just upgrade to ARP head bolts or studs and I think that would work fine.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

thank you
Old 11-22-2015, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

KCS has some very good suggestions...

Forged bottom end is a great idea for boost.

Where is ND by chance...North Dakota??
Old 11-23-2015, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

In Bismarck
Old 11-25-2015, 08:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello.
I apologize that I have to intrude into this topic.
I have similar goals, so I thought that might be asked in this thread.

I purchased a standard engine LQ9 for swap in my Volvo 244.
After dismantling the engine, I found a lot of rust in the cylinders, and seizure of rust on the surface of the cylinder.

I plan install a turbo at this engine. I'll use pump gas with octane 91-93. And water injection. My goal to get about 550-650 horsepower. I want to bore cylinders for the pistons 4.030 inches. Now I want to buy the pistons, so need your advice, what better to buy? I am considering the options Wiseco or JE Pistons, Compression ratio about 8.5-8.8. Perhaps there are other good options for this money?

I also plan to buy ARP head studs, studs for the covers of the crankshaft, connecting rod bolts ARP. Rebild produce cylinder heads, and the entire engine. Camshaft also plans replace.
I will be glad to listen to advice to achieve my goal.

BR,Alexander!
Old 11-30-2015, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pasis
Hello.
I apologize that I have to intrude into this topic.
I have similar goals, so I thought that might be asked in this thread.

I purchased a standard engine LQ9 for swap in my Volvo 244.
After dismantling the engine, I found a lot of rust in the cylinders, and seizure of rust on the surface of the cylinder.

I plan install a turbo at this engine. I'll use pump gas with octane 91-93. And water injection. My goal to get about 550-650 horsepower. I want to bore cylinders for the pistons 4.030 inches. Now I want to buy the pistons, so need your advice, what better to buy? I am considering the options Wiseco or JE Pistons, Compression ratio about 8.5-8.8. Perhaps there are other good options for this money?

I also plan to buy ARP head studs, studs for the covers of the crankshaft, connecting rod bolts ARP. Rebild produce cylinder heads, and the entire engine. Camshaft also plans replace.
I will be glad to listen to advice to achieve my goal.

BR,Alexander!
I'm also very curious about this. Your power goals are very similar to mine, I might go for a hair more.

Is it worth boring out to a 370 if the cylinders & pistons are all good? Motor has 160,000km on it.

I have an LQ4 (irrelevant after replacing pistons anyway), but I'm curious as to what sort of cam profile I'm gonna want on this. I wanna do small twin turbos for a quick spool and easier warm up (could be starting in -30degC).
Old 12-01-2015, 07:05 AM
Teching In

I plan to use one Holset HX55.

Quick Reply: Lq4 build help