Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oversize/undersized main bearing question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oversize/undersized main bearing question...

I'm assembling a 408 iron block with a Lunati 4" crank & with King XP standard size main bearings my clearance is .0016 on the mains. Way too tight. Do I have to order an oversize bearing or undersize?
Backround on block: standard size bearings were originally in the block when I disassembled. Block was align bored/honed.
Also checking clearance with a bore gage & double checking with plastigage. Thanks for any help with this!
Old 02-01-2016, 10:31 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

You are going to want an "X" bearing. There will usually be the regular part number followed by an X. These will give you an extra .001" clearance. You do not want a "1 under" bearing. These will have the regular part number followed by a -1. These will give you .001" less clearance.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:45 AM
Launching!

Got it thanks. I saw on Summit the "XP" undersize .001 which gives me ".001 more clearance".
Old 02-02-2016, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KCS
You are going to want an "X" bearing. There will usually be the regular part number followed by an X. These will give you an extra .001" clearance. You do not want a "1 under" bearing. These will have the regular part number followed by a -1. These will give you .001" less clearance.
Just want to be %100 sure. This is what I need for .001 (MORE) oil clearance, right?

Oh & what do u think of the Profom rod bolt stretch guage? My gut tells me to just buy the ARP guage but are there any more affordable ones that don't suck? Lol!
Dude, thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!
Old 02-02-2016, 12:18 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by jayyk31
Just want to be %100 sure. This is what I need for .001 (MORE) oil clearance, right?

Oh & what do u think of the Profom rod bolt stretch guage? My gut tells me to just buy the ARP guage but are there any more affordable ones that don't suck? Lol!
Dude, thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!
Yeah, that looks like the correct bearing.

I honestly don't remember the brand of the stretch gauge I've used, but I think it was a Proform gauge by the looks of it. It seemed to work just fine. If I remember correctly, the stretch I measured was in the range ARP recommended for the torque I applied, so I guess it was accurate.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KCS
Yeah, that looks like the correct bearing.

I honestly don't remember the brand of the stretch gauge I've used, but I think it was a Proform gauge by the looks of it. It seemed to work just fine. If I remember correctly, the stretch I measured was in the range ARP recommended for the torque I applied, so I guess it was accurate.
Hey man, sorry I have 1 more quick question. Figured I post it in here instead of starting a new thread.

When I check the thrust wall clearance, can I do u it with only the #3 main cap touque down or do I have to do it with all 5 caps tourque down?
Again thanks for all your help on this!
Old 02-03-2016, 01:29 PM
KCS

Hey man, sorry I have 1 more quick question. Figured I post it in here instead of starting a new thread.

When I check the thrust wall clearance, can I do u it with only the #3 main cap touque down or do I have to do it with all 5 caps tourque down?
Again thanks for all your help on this!
At least #1 and #5 as well.

Be sure to "set" the thrust before you check. By this I mean set the crank in and set your caps on and seated in their registers. Snug the bolts on the #3 cap but not too tight. I use a 3" long piece of aluminum round bar set up against the snout of the crank and give it a good whack with a hammer. Then I do the same against the rear flange. This "sets" the thrust in the block. You want to do this when you assemble the engine as well.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KCS
At least #1 and #5 as well.

Be sure to "set" the thrust before you check. By this I mean set the crank in and set your caps on and seated in their registers. Snug the bolts on the #3 cap but not too tight. I use a 3" long piece of aluminum round bar set up against the snout of the crank and give it a good whack with a hammer. Then I do the same against the rear flange. This "sets" the thrust in the block. You want to do this when you assemble the engine as well.
OK, I got it now! So caps #1, #3, & #5 seated and I just snug the bolts up. Def don't tourque them down, right?
Old 02-03-2016, 02:31 PM
KCS

OK, I got it now! So caps #1, #3, & #5 seated and I just snug the bolts up. Def don't tourque them down, right?
Yep, you got it. You really just want to snug the bolts on #3, but I don't think it'll hurt if you do #1 and 5 as well. Don't torque them down, just snug.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KCS
Yep, you got it. You really just want to snug the bolts on #3, but I don't think it'll hurt if you do #1 and 5 as well. Don't torque them down, just snug.
OK, awesome man! Thanks I appreciate it!!!!
Old 02-05-2016, 07:32 PM
Launching!

Default New clearance

OK, awesome man! Thanks I appreciate it!!!!
OK I got the new set of "X" bearings in.
Now my mains measure @
#1 .0023
#2 .0022
#3 .0023
#4 .0022
#5 .0021

Still too tight? I was hoping to get around .0026(ish) on all the mains.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can this be fixed by using 1/2 +.002" and 1/2 +.001" shells. The Ford factory manuals for the “Indy” 255, “Le Mans” 427, and “Trans Am” Boss 302 recommend this procedure.

Last edited by panic; 02-06-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by panic
Can this be fixed by using 1/2 +.002" and 1/2 +.001" shells, as Ford used to recommend?
Do they make bearings in +.002 clearance?
Maybe a different brand, like Sealed Power, or something might be a little bit looser than the King's?
Old 02-07-2016, 08:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KCS
Hey man I need to bother u again! Lol!
I'm driving myself nuts trying to figure out if I should run the mains with the clearance I got with the "X" bearings. What do u think? I got pretty much the same range of clearance on the mains as I have on the rods. Shouldn't I be up about .0025- .0030 on the mains? If so how do I achieve that? Another set of bearings? Maybe polish the crank (I would like to avoid this if possible as it's a new stroker crank)??? Also this is being built for the street not the the track. What do u think?
Old 02-07-2016, 09:29 AM
Launching!

I'm driving myself nuts trying to figure out if I should run the mains with the clearance I got with the "X" bearings. What do u think? I got pretty much the same range of clearance on the mains as I have on the rods. Shouldn't I be up about .0025- .0030 on the mains? If so how do I achieve that? Another set of bearings? Maybe polish the crank (I would like to avoid this if possible as it's a new stroker crank)??? Also this is being built for the street not the the track. What do u think?

I'm with in GM specs on both rods & mains but that's for a stock crank & stock rods.
I was reading and some guys choose a different brand of bearing & some polish/ grind the crank. Hmm, what to do, what to do? Lol!
Old 02-07-2016, 09:41 AM
KCS

Yeah, if you were at .0016" with standard bearings, I'm surprised you only got .0023" with the X bearings. That clearance will probably be fine for a NA street setup, but I like to have at least .0025" on an iron block.

You could try a different brand. I usually use an ACL or Federal Mogul brand.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KCS
Yeah, if you were at .0016" with standard bearings, I'm surprised you only got .0023" with the X bearings. That clearance will probably be fine for a NA street setup, but I like to have at least .0025" on an iron block.

You could try a different brand. I usually use an ACL or Federal Mogul brand.
I'm gonna try a set of Fed- Mogul & see WHT that does. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Oversize/undersized main bearing question...