Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 383 Stroker Build Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 383 Stroker Build Help

I hope to get my bottom end from TMS in a week or so. So I don't have alot of time to get the finishing touches I need for the engine.
I have a few questions on this that I need some help on.
#1 Will I need a special head gasket for this engine?
TMS has not said anything about HG's so I'm assuming I will need to get them myself.
#2 I'm also going to have to get a e set of 42 lb. injectors.
Where is the best place to buy them?
#3 I have a few questions on heads.
#1 I want to use the stock LS6 heads and want to get them ported.
I have been quoted $800-$1000 for porting.
Is this about right?
Is there a person from here that anyone would recommend?
What is a usual turn around time frame on a CNC port job? and an average cost?
The heads already have double springs, but i don't have any info on them
Would these be ok to run on the 383?
Specs on the cam are TMS Custom ground
231/234, .612/.603 112LSA + 2
TMS has also suggested maybe a little bigger cam to get the most potential out of this setup. but they have not given me the new cam specs but this is where we started.
I have an underdrive crank balancer.
I will probably just reuse the stock LS6 intake and TB. for now.
Upgrade at a later time.

I also plan to but a new water pump and I bellieve people have recommended to buy a 180 degree TS.
Any othe suggestions?
this is my first LS based engine build and I have mostly been a blue oval guy most of my life. So I'm kind of new to this era of engines.
Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Joe
Old 02-06-2016, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You have a link to the TMS package that you're buying?
Old 02-06-2016, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Thompson Motorsports LLC
545 Justin Place Nevada, TX 75173
Estimate
Date
Estimate #
1/21/2016
3990A
Name / Address
Joseph Kent AL 35773
2001 C5 Corvette 24X
Gen III
Assemble TMS short block to premium short block including: Melling Select High Pressure Oil Pump, TMS custom ground camshaft (231/234,.612/.603, 112LSA+2), Timing Chain, and installation.(Includes 12month unlimited mileage warranty)
Shipping to Nearest Fedex Hub
Subtotal
$5,573.22
Project
Description
Qty
Rate
Total
Forged 383CI all forged Aluminum block motor GM LS6 Blueprinted Block
king racing main bearings HP
King racing rod bearings HP
Thompson Motorsports single piece racing cam bearings
K1 Technologies 4.000" 24X Crankshaft
Thompson Motorsports 4340 forged H-beam connecting rods with ARP rod bolts
Diamond Racing Pistons -2cc
TMS Performance Ring Set
12 month unlimited mileage warranty with the purchase of a new Melling oil pump from TMS
4,299.00T
0.00T
859.00T
TMS LS7 High Performance Lifters
Custom engine crate and plastic motor wrap.
159.99T
90.00T
165.23T
Sales Tax (0.0%)
$0.00
Total
$5,573.22

Old 02-06-2016, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

When I first pulled the engine I knew it looked bad and I should have just stopped there.
But I took it to a local engine builder and he finished tearing it down.
All he was supposed to do was tear down and inspect, then call with report of condition of block and heads.
He tore the engine down and then did a 3 angle valve gob on the heads and cleaned and speced all of the surfaces on the heads.
He was not supposed to acutally do anywork on the heads but it ended up costing me $550 to pick up the heads and bad block.
The heads checked out fine. All valves and spring are good but I have been informed by some other members here that the double springs could have very well have caused the engine failure. But that was with a stock bottom end and after market cam. It looks like the lifters may have turned sideways.
I have been doing soem reading and I have read several post that suggest using double springs. But I was told that there is no since in using the "Old School" double springs.
There outdated and the bee hive stock type springs are far supeior to the double springs.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks, Joe
Old 02-06-2016, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nice setup! I run a TMS 370 myself and am very happy. To be honest I'd just Klyle at TMS all these questions since he will be doing this entire buold. You could ask all our opinions and get different answers but in the end we are not building the engine here. I can tell you from personal experience that he will steer you in the right direction and give you the best possible deal
Old 02-06-2016, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

I just got done building the T56 Trans yesterday. Everything went good on that build and got it all done in a day and a hlf.
I tried to call TMS today but I guess they were closed, That was my intentions this morning but I could not get in touch with them, so I figured I would pop the question here and see what turns up.
So I guess I will call TMS monday.
Thanks, Joe
Old 02-06-2016, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

For what you are getting thats a pretty good price. I've talked to Kyle probably over 15 times back when I bought my 370. He always took the time to be descriptive and point me in the right direction. Let us know what they say
Old 02-08-2016, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

I called TMS this morning. I talked to them about these heads and they said to use double springs. That the Single springs with a .570" lift would deffinatley not be sufficient for my build and the Doubles would be fine. They said they use them all the time.
I'm going on what TMS said.
The specs on the new cam are
235/239,.612/.603 113LSA+2
I ordered my 42lb. Injectors and 160 degree TS and complete gasket kit this morning.
I got the Bosh flow matched 42's from Fuel Injector Conecction.
I'm kind of confussed with the info i'm getting.
People here are saying stay away from the Doubles and others say to go with the doubles.
I don't want to make any mistakes on this engine and I kind of feel like TMS knows what they are talking about, But when others say stay away, it makes me rethink this decision.
Come on guy's give me some positive feed back on this.
Should I use the Doubles I already have or should I just order a set of behives with the right amount of lift for my combination?
Thanks, Joe
Old 02-08-2016, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JMO, if someone who's building my motor and built a lot of motors running 1000ish RWHP in Texas alone was telling me what's best for my motor that they're building me with my money, I wouldn't care what anyone else on here had to say or need a second opinion. That said, a Google search will reveals the hundreds of threads where people have argued and even a couple of threads proving no downsides to duals compared to beehives. You're gonna be okay, go enjoy the car.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Hmm...I thought the general consensus around here lately seems to favor duals. Brian Tooley did some spintron testing and revealed his platinum duals give up little to nothing over beehives.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe (2001 Z06),

You have 243 heads correct? The reason I ask is because I am looking to do this exact build using my LS1 block. I have a 2000 TA ws6 T56. I already have the crank and other misc. parts. I am planning to do a 383 with 243 heads, custom cam of some sort, ls6 intake and throttle body. Like you I will eventually upgrade the intake and all but for now it isn't in the budget and I'm not looking for a dragster. My main use will be weekend driving with occasional road course trips. Please keep us updated on how the build goes. I am especially interested in the cam choice. Thank You! Stacy

btw...I've been a blue oval guy all my life also. I just bought this car a few months ago and have been having a lot of fun learning the LS engine.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

Yes I have stock 243 Z06 heads with the exception of the Double springs.
So far I have purchased the short block from TMS and waiting to hear from them on when they ship it out. The heads have had a 3 angle valve gob and all checked out and cleaned up.
I'm thinking about a set of 1.7 roller rockers for the heads and I have also bought a set of
42 lb. Bosch injectors. I ordered a 160 degree thremostat with housing and a complete gasket kit. Right now I am in waiting mode waiting for everything to arrive.
But I have been doing some research and I have read that there are problems with the Fast102 Intake on a C5, that you either have to cut the firwall or use different motor mounts to lower the engine or it will hit the fire wall. So not sure what to do on that. If I knew for sure what motor mounts to buy I would go ahead and buy them and install now while I have the enigne out of the car because the plan is to upgrade the intake in the near future any way. I need to do more research on that.
But as of now I will be using the 383 TMS short block with the stock 243 heads and stock LS6 intake and TB. with 42 lb. injectors. a 100 mm Mass air flow .
The cam is a custom gound TMS 235/239,.612/.603 113LSA+2
And 1 7/8 headers.
When I pulled the exhaust off the car the Catalytic converter on the drivers side had melted inside, So I will probably just gut the converters and hope it doesn't cause problems down the road.
I have also pulled the transmission and rebuilt the T56 and bought a billet fly wheel and a 12" stage 3 ram clutch.
I will update as thing progress.
Thanks, Joe
Old 02-17-2016, 07:57 AM
Staging Lane

I have been having some issues with TMS every since I placed my order and was wondering if anyone else has had issues with them in the past or present.
I do believe they are a Sponsor here on LS1 Tech and I was given high reviews before I placed my order but I am almost to the point of regret.
I placed my order with TMS on 1/21/16 and was told I would have my engine a Stage 3 LS6 383 short block only, in 2 to 3 weeks. Almost 4 weeks later and I still don't think it has even been shipped or atleats I have not gotten anything from them saying it has been shipped.
On 1/21 before I hung up the phone the guy taking the order said he wanted to talk with someone else about the cam and possibly make a few changes to it. And he would send me a new email with the final invoice and new cam specs the next day. I figured I would here something back from them in a day or so but I waited and waited.......Nothing.
Then on 2/8 I called TMS for a checkup because I had not heard anything from them since 1/21 and asked about the new cam specs. I was sent a new invoice with new cam specs that evening and asked about when the engine might go out.
I was told they was finishing it up and should go out on wednesday and I should recieve an email with tracking sometime around there. Wednesday came and nothing. So i waited until Monday to call them back and I was told the engine is ready to go and as soon as it was crated up it will ship out. and i would get an email with tracking. Here it is almost wednesday and I have recieved nothing yet.

So to this point All I have gotten from them is 1 email on 1/21
another on 2/8 that I had to remind them to send. and that is it.
I have not gotten any emails from them since 2/8 and I have not gotten any phone calls from them at all.
Should I be concerned about this? just seems like poor communication and bad customer service to me.
Joe
Old 02-17-2016, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wow! I'm really surprised to hear this about TMS! I've had nothing but totally positive experiences from them. I hope Kyle steps in here to give his side on it
Old 02-22-2016, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

I have been meaning to update this post, I have just been very busy getting my TMS 383 in the Vette.
Kyle called with an update on the engine and it actually shipped out the day before I posted the inquiry here. The engine showed up on Friday and I am tickled to get it in the car and going down the road.
I'm very happy with the quality of the build and the quality of the shipping. The engine looks amazing.

I want to say, I didn't intend this thread to be a bashing in any way, shape or form. when I was searching for a great company to build me a quality engine, All I got was very high reviews about TMS and everyone was pointing me in that direction. I understand that sometimes the ball can get dropped. And I am very glad that Kyle called me and straightend everything up very quickly.
I wouldn't hesitate a second to get TMS to build my next engine.
A big thanks to TMS for a quality build.
Thanks you Aaron and Kyle for taking the time to contact me and getting this build back on the road.
Joe
Old 02-23-2016, 03:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Glad it all worked out
Old 02-23-2016, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

When your dealing with a company you have never dealt with before, Your always going to be a little skeptical about things. And when there is very little communication it raises questions. And that is all I meant by my original post. It was more of an inquiry than anything. A question asking if anyone else had this issue with them.
Kyle seemed like a very sympathetic and very worried about it and that made me feel a lot better. He said he would get to the bottom of it. in the end it was just a small thing and everything worked out great and I am verry happy with engine and the quality of the build.
A big thanks to Kyle and Aaron and TMS for the engine.
Joe
Old 03-05-2016, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

Just thought I would update.
I got my 383 stoker short block back from Thompson MotorSports and got the engine built up and installed in the car. I ordered a complete T56 rebuild from Third Gen with all the upgrades and rebuilt the Trans myself. Not a bad job if you really pay attention to what your doing. The only issue I had was the torque bolts in the side on the case. I got them out without too much of an issue but snapped the head off of one of them torquing them back down and had to cut a slot in the top with a dremel to get the bolt backed out. So I ordered 2 new bolts and everything was good to go. Trans shifts like butter now. Back to the engine.
We got the engine installed and got the car running and sent it off to the tuner.
RCI in Toney, AL did the initial tune. Now going through the 500 mile brake-in and have about 150 miles on it so far. Then it will go back to RCI for Dyno and final tune.
Very happy with the outcome so far.
TMS Forged 383 stroker LS6 blueprinted bottom end.
235/239,.612/.603 113 LSA +2 Cusom ground cam
LS7 lifters
Yella Terra 1.7 rockers
CC 7.400 Push Rods
CC Double Springs
42 lb. Bosch Injectors
Stock LS6 243 Heads
Stock LS6 Intake & TB
1 7/8 LT Headers w/ Gutted converters. Didn't have a choice. Left converter was melted inside.
Stock TI Z06 mufflers.
After being under the car so much I have noticed there are several bushings that need replacing.
I ordered new set of front and rear HD sway bar end links all four are completely shot.
But I am getting a service abs traction control active handling come up on the dash and going to have to figure out what is going on with that issue very soon.
I ordered a Billet steel flywheel and stage 3 Ram Clutch from Third Gen and thought the Clutch kit came with a new slve cylinder but it did not. And instead of oredering a new Slave I just installed the factory Slave back in and that was a big mistake. I am now having issues with the clutch. It doesn't happen all the time but every once in a while it will stick about a tird of the way up and I have to slide my foot under the pedal and pop it back up.
So the rear will ahve to be dropped again and put a new slave in. I have tried to power bleed it but I have had no luck. So a new master and slave have been ordered and on the way.
I am also going to put in a new remote bleeder in while I have it back out.
Thats about it for now.
Joe
But other wise I am Happy with the outcome so far.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Give Texas speed a call I know they port the stock 243 heads friend of mine just got the stage 2.5 port job done they came out amazing!! Price was very reasonable and quick turn around time
Old 03-06-2016, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Joe, are the Bosch injectors you're running 42 lbs. at the usual 43.5 (3 bar) psi or the 42 lbs. at the 58 (4 bar) psi the LS1/LS6 pushes? I have a set of Bosch 36 lbs. injectors that I plan to use (part #0280155868). The 36 lbs. is at 43.5 psi so with the LS1 it actually equates to a 41.5 lbs. injector. Just curious.

Also, here is a video of a cheap bleeding method that a guy got to work after trying everything else. Yours may not need bleeding again but it may be worth a try.

Quick Reply: LS6 383 Stroker Build Help