Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 camshaft crankshaft 180 off??

Old 02-08-2016, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 camshaft crankshaft 180 off??

I have a 1999 5.3 out of a Silverado I got from a junkyard that I am redoing and swapping into a older truck. This weekend I did a cam swap and lined the crankshaft and camshaft dots up like u are supposed to but then when the sprocket and chain was off I had to rotate the crank to get the chain unstuck from a weird angle and am wondering now since I rotated it s full 360 if the cam sprocket is 180 off even tho the dots point at each other??

Is it possible to be 180 off if u rotate the crankshaft without the cam in and don't pay attention?
Any help would be great!
Old 02-08-2016, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hillskyle
I have a 1999 5.3 out of a Silverado I got from a junkyard that I am redoing and swapping into a older truck. This weekend I did a cam swap and lined the crankshaft and camshaft dots up like u are supposed to but then when the sprocket and chain was off I had to rotate the crank to get the chain unstuck from a weird angle and am wondering now since I rotated it s full 360 if the cam sprocket is 180 off even tho the dots point at each other??

Is it possible to be 180 off if u rotate the crankshaft without the cam in and don't pay attention?
Any help would be great!
As long as your dot to dot your good to go no worries though make sure your not even one tooth off !!!

Just think of the pistons as being blind and the cam as the stick to direct them on their walk as long as the stick is in the correct location in the pistons hands, the crankshaft, dot to dot, the pistons will fire when they are spos to cam 6, crank 12, cam down, crank up, dot to dot

Ls engines are a bit different than the old school engines, can't get a Ls engine 180 out as long as you have dot to dot.. same with the old school engines/distributor engines, though how you get them out of timing is by installing the distributor wrong..

hope this helps man peace
Old 02-08-2016, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok good deal! Thanks for the info

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.3 camshaft crankshaft 180 off??