Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 5.3 built for boost killed before seeing any

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New 5.3 built for boost killed before seeing any

Check out the bearings on the left see the rod discoloration it's purple top to bottom
This is my 5.3 bored to 3.903 wiseco -11cc pistons eagle rods hellfire rings arp main studs arp head bolts clevite bearings motor was cleaned bored line honed new cam bearings mls head gaskets ls6 intake and ported ls6 oil pump. I dumped everything I had into this motor after getting jerked around from the machine shop I usually use I took my stuff to a local race engine builder that I actually race with at the track. He knows what I do what I wanted and what I planned on doing with it I wanted a motor to hold about 15lbs of boost to run on our local street car top ten list which he also runs on and is usually 2nd or third in a well built nova I know two other guys he built motors for that assured me he was the man he seemed to be and that he has been doing this a very long time I even rod in a fbody that he had done and that thing sure made me excited. Long story short he did all the work he did it in a short amount of time like we talked about after dealing with all the run around I had experienced before so I was happy when he called and said it was ready I dropped off the 3300 for the bill I brought him all the parts he just ordered rings and pistons and the rest was labor kind of high but I did ask for it asap. I get the motor looks good I assembled the top end put all the covers on it and dropped it in got it running felt strong did the break in procedure he said it needed plus what I read on here was a good way to go. Fast forward the break in period was over it was knocking hard all of a sudden and oil pressure dropped to near nothing I was horrified I had only driven it once and had it tuned on the dyno so maybe 300 miles worth of running time I called him he seemed not very interested in my situation basically a well there's always that chance which was not the attitude he had before I had paid him. After trying to get him to make it right and no luck I did some research and apparently he has screwed ppl before I take full responsibility for not googling his business before but it was a small four man shop very nice very clean and guys I knew vouched for him. The picture is what I seen when I pulled the motor flipped it over and investigated I took it to him and he said when u race a motor u get what u get and there is no such thing as a warranty for a race motor I said well considering I never even had the turbo set above 8lbs while waiting on bigger injectors and it had only been driven very mildly and had maybe 500 miles on it since it had just been dyno tuned the crank was 40 thousandths out two rods ruined and the main cap was machined backwards and as u can see the bearings were squished out the side against the crank throws I have a lawsuit pending but I see nothing coming from it I just ate it and am getting it back together before I get any further what do y'all think for bearings and is the ported ls6 pump the one I should be using I use the fbody pan and pickup comp turbo cam 237/235 621/617 54-481-11 I just want to get it back right but now that it's open if I need a better cam and better parts I'm open for suggestions
Old 02-12-2016, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my 2 cents but the factory does a better job at building engines than 95% of racing engine "experts" and local machine shops. Unless you got a warranty in writing before hand you are most likely S.O.L. You could buy 5 or 6 5.3 junkyard takeouts for $3300 and just slap a new on in if one blows up. They hold up to boost reasonably well stock I've heard: http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...g-bang-theory/
Old 02-12-2016, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

I spent the money to have it done right with the better than stock parts because I wanted a motor that could handle boost in my little s10 when driving around town or for fun at the track the one time I did use a bone stock 5.3 with my turbo setup it didn't last long that's why I wanted a built one and I don't want to be pulling the motor and trans every couple months to throw in another stock 5.3 the thought of running a high mileage motor without changing gaskets and checking for wear and tear just isn't my style I like well built machines that serve the purpose they were built for I know some love the stock route but I wanted to have a good one I could just freshen up every couple of winters or so and make it last while still adding better parts here and there when money is available u know
Old 02-12-2016, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have no idea how many people i know that take boxes of "standard" size bearings and throw them on motors with the explanation, "they are standard size, they will fit just fine, im not doing anything custom".
Old 02-13-2016, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by spawne32
You have no idea how many people i know that take boxes of "standard" size bearings and throw them on motors with the explanation, "they are standard size, they will fit just fine, im not doing anything custom".
I know exactly what u mean I've seen it also that's why I paid to get the bitch set up right I believe I could have had a couple buddies come over and we could have done better than the so called race engine builder did

Quick Reply: New 5.3 built for boost killed before seeing any