Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you replace the timing cover if...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 09:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Would you replace the timing cover if...

Would you replace the timing cover if the inner lip portion was broken completely off except one 1/4" piece of the original lip?

It's the lip that the crank seal rests on when you drive it in with a seal driver.

I'm asking because the new crank seal I installed had a tear in the lip of the seal allowing oil to seep out. When I pulled the seal with my seal puller I notice the timing cover was previously damaged in the area described above. This damaged didn't cause any issues previously.

I am just curious if I should replace the whole cover b/c I have to get a new seal anyway.

Last edited by CANNIBAL; 06-14-2004 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had to buy a new seal and then a new cover from gm (trying to find an oil leak). the new seal alone was $25+ and they had to order it. turned out not to be the leak (just looked like the seal). the cover actually had a crack in it. a new cover, which comes with a seal, was $40 or $50and they had one in stock. i'd say just buy the cover and seal, it comes all put together too
Old 06-14-2004, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it's the seal that is causing it as I replaced the previous seal with this new out of the box seal but it had a tear in it after I realized it. Cover is fine other than what was described orginally.

I think it can be re-used just fine. It worked seamlessly before.

Last edited by CANNIBAL; 06-14-2004 at 10:08 AM.