Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 5.7 LS1 @ Machine Shop. Trying to find 3.903 Pistons

Old 03-24-2016, 06:25 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2001 5.7 LS1 @ Machine Shop. Trying to find 3.903 Pistons

I am trying to put my 2001 TA back together. My stock engine had rod come apart and go through #6 cylinder wall when I went to start it up one morning.

I have another block now and it is at the machine shop. At first I was told it would just be a quick hone and reassemble. Now my guy is telling me it looks like it needs to be bored over.

The only set of non forged pistons he can find are for 3.908 which is the max overbore for the 2001 LS1 (sealed power hypereutectic coated around $270). It only needs to go .005. I know there are plenty of options for 3.903 pistons that are forged but I don't have that kind of money right now because I was only budgeting for a hone job.

Does anyone make 3.903 hypereutectic piston?

I did find the Probe FPS Forged Pistons P2600F-003 which are around $500 still though, if I can get a set of non forged and save myself $250 I would really like to do that. If I did have to go with Probe forged, would I have to buy anything else? I think they would work with my stock rods, what about piston rings?

I am just building the engine for daily driver/weekend warrior type. It will never see nitrous, blower or turbo. It has bolt ons, 243s, ls6 intake, and it will be getting a cam from Martin, 226/230 .560/.545 112+2.

I really hate to take it to max overbore when all it needs is .005 over.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:11 AM
Launching!

It is starting to look like they just do not exist.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:24 PM
Launching!

Ok, how about this? Probe P2600F-003 pistons? http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=4272

$362 from ws6 store. $502 from the summit

What pistons rings? Can I use stock rods? What will this do to my compression ratio? I am trying to figure this out, really trying to have machine work done next week.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Well.. Just contacted WS6 store and they said they are removing the Probe pistons from their catalog b/c they have such problems getting the pistons they have to end up cancelling order... Crapolla.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:32 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go with the 3.908 if you can get them. It's only .005 more, meaning it's only .0025 on each side of the piston. It's such a small difference, it won't matter at all. Also, if the block was to have a problem in the future, the .0025 usually isn't enough to clear up any scarring if you have any.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 03-24-2016, 03:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sales2@Texas-speed
Go with the 3.908 if you can get them. It's only .005 more, meaning it's only .0025 on each side of the piston. It's such a small difference, it won't matter at all. Also, if the block was to have a problem in the future, the .0025 usually isn't enough to clear up any scarring if you have any.
I see what you are saying there, I think. So you are saying even if I go to 3.903 pistons or 3.902 (probe pistons that I can get for $362 (bc the summit has them in stock and will price match ws6store), and in the future the walls need to be cleaned up again It won't be enough material there to clean it up again, so there is no point trying to stay away from max overbore?
Old 03-24-2016, 03:46 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by nastybuzzard
I see what you are saying there, I think. So you are saying even if I go to 3.903 pistons or 3.902 (probe pistons that I can get for $362 (bc the summit has them in stock and will price match ws6store), and in the future the walls need to be cleaned up again It won't be enough material there to clean it up again, so there is no point trying to stay away from max overbore?
Pretty much yes. Every instance is different but if it's a major ordeal then you won't have enough material to clean up. All that being said, I think there are even some 3.910 pistons out there that you could use.

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 03-24-2016, 03:50 PM
Launching!

Pretty much yes. Every instance is different but if it's a major ordeal then you won't have enough material to clean up. All that being said, I think there are even some 3.910 pistons out there that you could use.
That is something definitely to consider. The engine has 120k on it and they weren't easy miles I guarantee it. Still though machine shop says it will clean up at only .005 over. So it may be possible to do another 100-150k easy miles then be able to cleaned back up .005 to 3.908 which is the supposed max overbore for these LS engines. IDK, guess I need to stop stressing but I am. I will spend the extra on the Probe pistons as long as it won't snow ball into a lot more expense.

I wish someone made the 3.903 hypereutectic pistons though. Seems like a missed market considering not everyone goes into these for max power in mind.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:55 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I wouldn't stress it at all. Another thing to consider is if by some chance it needs to be built again and your block was ruined, you can always get a 5.3 block. They are cheap and can be bored to an ls1 bore size. You would have to source one used but they just don't cost much. If it were me, I'd just take the 3.908 and go with it.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:57 PM
Launching!

I wouldn't stress it at all. Another thing to consider is if by some chance it needs to be built again and your block was ruined, you can always get a 5.3 block. They are cheap and can be bored to an ls1 bore size. You would have to source one used but they just don't cost much. If it were me, I'd just take the 3.908 and go with it.
I have plenty of 5.3/4.8 blocks and even a lq4 6.0 block. I even have another spare ls1 block that is good and another spare ls1 block with a hole in #6 cylinder.. I do prefer to keep the ls1 in this car due to the weight. I plan to build my 79 TA for power. I have a ls power squarebody as well, so the iron blocks are spare for it and my 04 crew cab.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 5.7 LS1 @ Machine Shop. Trying to find 3.903 Pistons