Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hollow tapping sound Pls help

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hollow tapping sound Pls help

I have a 2001 T/A ws6 m6 60k, with a mild comp cam, hardened 7.4 pushrods, Brain tooley springs , and Harland sharp roller rockers. I did the cam install over winter and had it tuned at Complete street performance. Now after 3k miles were put on the car it developed a hollow tapping noise on the passenger side. So I pulled my valve covers, roller rockers, and push rods. My push rods were fine none were bent, my rockers and springs were fine also. So I figured maybe my studs loosened up. So I reinstalled every thing and re- torqued my roller rockers to 22ftlb and fired her up.Oil pressure is good but the noise was still there. It almost sounds like a roller rocker is just barely hitting the valve cover. Oh and I turned the motor over by hand and all my rockers are moving. Pls help

2001 T/A WS6 M6 - comp cam 218/224, 7.4 Hardened PR, Brian tooley springs, Powerbond 25%UD, Pacesetter LT & Y, SLP Lid/MAF/LM1 exhaust. 396HP 396TQ
Old 04-01-2016, 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

Are you still on the stock/factory lifters?
Old 04-01-2016, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Are you still on the stock/factory lifters?
Yeah, never pulled the heads on the motor yet. Almost sounds like the rocker is hitting the valve cover. So hard to tell with the hollow tap and echo..
Old 04-02-2016, 12:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you had a weak lifter, an aftermarket cam will find it. Usually this would be the sound you are hearing. Although you could also try putting on your old rockers and seeing if the sound goes away. The aftermarket stuff has much more in terms of failure rate than the stockers.

Let me know if we can help.

Andrew
Complete Street Performance
Old 04-02-2016, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by andrewzpsu
If you had a weak lifter, an aftermarket cam will find it. Usually this would be the sound you are hearing. Although you could also try putting on your old rockers and seeing if the sound goes away. The aftermarket stuff has much more in terms of failure rate than the stockers.

Let me know if we can help.

Andrew
Complete Street Performance
Thanks Andrew , I was going to try that next weekend. I was thinking the same thing. Especially since the Harland sharps are a soft alloy. I don't have time to get to it this weekend. But I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:38 PM
12 Second Club

I was hoping that my noise was the 180K mile, factory rockers.

So I changed them out myself, using new GM rockers, along with new Trick Flow/Trend pushrods, and NOPE, the clacking is still there.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I changed them out myself, using new GM rockers, along with new Trick Flow/Trend pushrods, and NOPE, the clacking is still there.
It's probably more like your 180K mile factory lifters.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:09 AM
Teching In

I'm going to try putting the factory rockers on and see what happens. Ws6 store rite now has LS7 lifters for $100 on sale and trays are only $8. They also have a bundle deal for $350 that includes lifters, head bolts and header bolts, head and header gaskets.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BOLO
It's probably more like your 180K mile factory lifters.
Of course, but I was hoping for it to be what I replaced, as EVERYONE on here and their great grand aunt all but DEMAND you install the trunnion upgrade to the factory rockers, since "they MUST loose their needle bearings WITHOUT FAIL" and I wanted to try the somewhat inexpensive/easy things first.
I have NO WAY POSSIBLE to drop the whole engine out of the car like almost everyone else does.

I do NOT have all of the facilities/tools/skills/3 other cars to use that it seems everyone else on here has, which enables them to just tear right into their engines and replace lifters and cam, no matter how long their f body is disabled while they are doing such.

Last edited by dailydriver; 04-03-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JustinWs6
I'm going to try putting the factory rockers on and see what happens. Ws6 store rite now has LS7 lifters for $100 on sale and trays are only $8. They also have a bundle deal for $350 that includes lifters, head bolts and header bolts, head and header gaskets.
THANKS for this info as I need ALL of that, but I was going to use the Jegs NOT torque to yield head bolts, to give myself less of a chance of f'ing up using the torque angle BS of the GM bolts.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:25 PM
Teching In

THANKS for this info as I need ALL of that, but I was going to use the Jegs NOT torque to yield head bolts, to give myself less of a chance of f'ing up using the torque angle BS of the GM bolts.
The bundle from WS6 store comes with bolts. They always give you arp bolts. Never use or reuse gm bolts, their always a softer alloy. My biggest worry is the cam just put that in during winter.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Also make sure you don't have a header exhaust leak. I thought for sure i had a lifter tick that turned out to be a header exhaust leak on the bottom side of the header where you can't see.

Quick Reply: Hollow tapping sound Pls help