Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pan removal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 01:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pan removal?

I have done some searching but I was wondering with the heads, intake, and radiator removed will I have enough room to drop the pan if I hoist up the engine by the crank bolt and loosen the 6 k member bolts? I would like to not remove the entire k member if I don't have too. Thanks for any advice.

Should have clearified that this is on a 2001 trans am.

Last edited by roth2000; 05-06-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:55 AM
Teching In

What vehicle is the engine in?
Old 05-06-2016, 03:15 AM
Teching In

I'm just finishing changing oil pump (321000mi). 04 Silverado 5.3 1500 4wd. Dropped front dif, cross member,wiring harness etc. diff only had to drop about 3" pan came wright out. Motor mounts suck in this truck. Don't know how you'd are but I think this was faster. Watch out for your crank bearing if you lift eng. with end of crank not sure but could be a bummer��
Old 05-06-2016, 05:31 AM
On The Tree

Use this from Harbor Freight as you'll need access to the front of the pan and a jack on the balancer would get in the way. I attached the chains to my motor mount clamshells:

I just did this actually. I don't think the intake/heads being removed would make a difference because the transmission tops out on the tunnel just before the intake hits the cowl anyway.

Do you need to swap the pan or just the gasket?
Old 05-06-2016, 07:49 AM
Teching In

Go to your nearest hardware store and bring 1 of each of your k member bolts. Out of the 6, 4 are the same and the other 2 are the same. Buy new ones in longer lengths and use them to drop your k member but keep it in it's basic position. This is how I changed my pan. I had to jack the motor up as high as the transmission tunnel would allow but I had nothing removed from the motor either. You will also need to remove the lower shock bolts, outer tie rod bolts and sway bar links. Then everything will drop down onto the longer bolts. This is assuming this is in an LS1 F body.

Quick Reply: Oil pan removal?