Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam degree problems...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam degree problems...

I'm degreeing in my cam and my closing valve events on the intake and exhaust Lobes on #1 cyl don't match my cam card. I'm getting: IC 68*, EC 20*.

Lobe lift checked out on both intake and exhaust.

Intake centerline checked out @112.

I checked the valve events at .050.
I'm using a comp cams LS degree kit.

Cam is installed straight up (dot to dot) for checking purposes.

So just curious of what to do next? Weird that my intake and exhaust "open" valve events match the card but not the closing events?
Old 05-06-2016, 06:51 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

How are you degreeing the cam?
Old 05-06-2016, 08:05 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=KCS;19251947]How are you degreeing

I use a piston stop to find true tdc. Then I zero my dial indicator on the base circle. Then I I checked the io @.050. It matched. Then I checked IC @.050 b4 it closed and it's not matching. I did the same for the exhaust. Same outcome. Matches when it opens and doesn't match up closing. I followed a guide online that I found to do the valve events.

I also used the "intake centerline method" to check intake centerline and it checked at 112. I followed comp cams directions for this method.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:05 AM
Launching!

I'm gonna have another go at it today after I get off work. I'm gonna just check the valve events on a couple different lobes to see what I get.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have a lifter you are using? From memory I seem to recall my lifter was turning a bit so I used an old lifter tray. I had to sand it out a bit so the lifter would easily move under its own weight and would follow the cam correctly. It was OK on the lift side but after the lifter reached maximum lift it would not keep contact with the cam until I modified the lifter tray.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Do you have a lifter you are using? From memory I seem to recall my lifter was turning a bit so I used an old lifter tray. I had to sand it out a bit so the lifter would easily move under its own weight and would follow the cam correctly. It was OK on the lift side but after the lifter reached maximum lift it would not keep contact with the cam until I modified the lifter tray.
OK so I'm thinking it was operator error! Lol! I just checked all the intake and exhaust valve events again and everything on the intake side was almost dead nuts!

I was off 1 degree on each IO-9* & IC-51*. Came up with a 111* int centerline.

Exhaust side matched 100% to the cam card.
I came up with a 112.5 LSA.

So I'm thinking it was my own error and this cam is good to go.

And yes I am degreeing it heads off with the Johnson 2116 link bars. They move very smooth up and down the bore on cyl #1.
I tried cyl#2 & the lifters were not moving smooth so I went back to cyl#1 & everything checked out.

I'm assuming I should b good to go to install this cam straight up or should I triple check my #'s or move to a different cyl? What do u guys think?

Quick Reply: Cam degree problems...