Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about pressurizing oil/lifter galleries for test

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about pressurizing oil/lifter galleries for test

04 2500hd 6.0...250k, runs ok but bad lifter noise.

Pulled the valve covers, some sludge, but also a couple of push rod tips and rocker arm oil holes plugged with some type of carbon/sludge.

There is no way oil is coming out of them due to the clogs (wondering if the lifters/lifter oil holes are clogged too).

I pulled the rockers and push rods, cleaned all the clogs out.

I would like to observe if I can get any oil pumping out of the formerly clogged lifters/push rods/rockers.

I thought I could do it by just using a homemade priming tool (powered by air etc), through the front left oil galley plug in the block (like priming a new motor), but its too hard to get to. So the question is, can I do it from some other location, like through the top back oil pressure sending point (behind intake), or from the oil filter area? I would just like to get some pressure in the lifter galleries and see if I can observe oil coming out of the rocker tips prior to buttoning it up firing it (and not knowing if oil is flowing out of them).

PS Oil P sender is bad, I have a new one on order, and also ordered an adapter to put a mech gauge on it. I do not know the current oil pressure status of the motor, but I do know it runs fine with no rod or bearing knock etc.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Either of those locations will work for priming, you won't have a way to read pressure though. Next time, just bust the plastic off that bad sensor, then drill and tap it for NPT threads and you got your adapter...
Old 05-17-2016, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Thank you - I am going to try the pressure sender port.

Question #2. With all of the rockers torqued down, there are a couple that you can actually push the rocker tip (in return pushing the push rod), and you can feel the lifter plunger depress. But barely....I mean maybe .020, enough to feel it and for the rocker to feel a little loose (on cam base circle). All of the others are rock hard when you try to push them. The ones that have that little bit of play are the ones that had the clogged push rod tips. So is the lifter bad? What caused the push rod tip to clog? Was it because the lifter got clogged, or because the pushrod tip got clogged first, then the lifter went bad? Any info would help. That's why I want to prime it I want to see if I get oil out of all of the push rods now.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by t56tr
Thank you - I am going to try the pressure sender port.

Question #2. With all of the rockers torqued down, there are a couple that you can actually push the rocker tip (in return pushing the push rod), and you can feel the lifter plunger depress. But barely....I mean maybe .020, enough to feel it and for the rocker to feel a little loose (on cam base circle). All of the others are rock hard when you try to push them. The ones that have that little bit of play are the ones that had the clogged push rod tips. So is the lifter bad? What caused the push rod tip to clog? Was it because the lifter got clogged, or because the pushrod tip got clogged first, then the lifter went bad? Any info would help. That's why I want to prime it I want to see if I get oil out of all of the push rods now.
Well, normally a few lifters will always be on the base circle and with no oil in them, you can push against the internal spring and collapse them. But - if you're certain those are the same ones that gave you trouble, maybe you've got some wear issues. I'd roll the engine over 90° at a time and see if all the PRs give the same result...
Old 05-19-2016, 08:15 AM
Teching In

Update...I built a luber, and hooked it up to the oil pressure sender port and put 30lbs of air on it. It took 5-6 quarts right away. Nothing came out of any of the push rod or rockers (all wound up in the pan). I put the valve covers back on and fired the motor with the mechanical gauge hooked up to the sender port. Motor runs fine, no bearing knock, but still has the original lifter noise. Thinking the gauge might be bad I screwed the gauge off and fired it with nothing but the hose and nothing even comes out....at 250k does anyone have any other suggestions as to what could be going on? Obviously its day may have arrived, but Im just trying to see if I can use the truck as a beater for a while....
Old 05-19-2016, 09:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Pull the pan and look at the suction screen? With 250k, it could be anything...

Quick Reply: Question about pressurizing oil/lifter galleries for test