Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

383 stroker? the best kit?

Old 06-18-2004, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation 383 stroker? the best kit?

i cannot decide what kit i should buy for my ls1 99 z28. i wanted to go 383 but i do not want to have 11:1 compression because it is a daily driver that i put quite a few miles on per day. keeping that in mind and having ZO6 heads what would be a good crank, hbeam rods and piston kit? i was leaning toward a 10:1 compression setup so i could still run 93 octane with no troubles, but i think that i will have to shave the tops of the pistons so that they will fit the ZO6 heads, this means i really cant stroke it because i cant have dished pistons unless i can find some pistons that will fit under the heads. someone who is smarter than i, please help!!!! thanks.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

I dont know where you are getting your information but unfortunately it is incorrect.

You can buy a stroker kit (Eagle, Lunati, Callies etc etc) with flattop pistons that come out of the hole exactly the same as stock. (valve reliefs would be a good idea if you ever wanted to run a large cam without having to flycut the pistons)

With your stock LS6 heads you would have stock LS6 compression.

11:1 compression will live easily on 93 octane with a good tune.

You would be looking at a 4 inch stroke crank, 6.125 rods and a flat top piston (Diamond or JE are good choices)

You can mill the heads for more compression if you desire and also deck the block to bring the pistons higher out of the hole as well.

Pistons are out of the hole ~.006 on stock applications. It would be wise to shoot for this amount.

Old 06-18-2004, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Chris is exactly right, you can tailor your kit to meet almost any needs. Just make sure to tell them what heads you have and your target CR. The Ebay style orders are obviously limited but many of the sponsors over here -----------------> can hook you up no problem.
One other I am using right now is Keith Craft, www.keithcraftmotorsports.com. Great prices and customer service so far. I ordered an Eagle 4" kit, LS1 heads, targeted 10.5:1 CR. JE pistons is who they source with and they have numerous piston/ring kits to suit your build.
Good luck, let us know how things go!
Old 06-20-2004, 03:42 PM
Launching!

thanks guys, still debating on pulling the motor or having it done. anyway. what clutch would you recommend? and which kit would you recommend. thanks.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris ARE 360
With your stock LS6 heads you would have stock LS6 compression.

11:1 compression will live easily on 93 octane with a good tune.

Not to be a butt, but when you strok a motor and leave the chamber and piston factors the same, the compression goes up. In this case, maybe not a whole lot, and probably around 11:1, which you mentioned is likely ok on pump gas. I drive around 12.x:1 on pump gas. I may not have alot of advance, but I dont get detonation.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Launching!

12:1 is not going to be a daily driver is it? especially when i put about 150 miles a day on it. i want something dependable. let me know what you think. i would like to hang around 10 or 11 at most really. are z06 heads and ls6 heads one and the same?

Search this Thread