Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls exhaust note terrible

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ls exhaust note terrible

I need some help I. Just purchased a ls3 supercharged engine and I heard this a few years ago that ls engines don't sound good but didn't know it horrible repulsive embarrassing. I need to know can I change fireing order what can I do i refuse to drive a car that sounds like pop rocks in soda I'm a HP tork guy I'm always willing to sacrifice a little sound for HP but the L's sounds extremely laim I need help I am use to big block chevys big block Pontiacs they have a deep tone L's has no tone just a bunch of pop rocks in soda.any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...rnal-engine-6/

Try here
Old 06-28-2016, 03:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

then your car has a shitty exhaust system on it, so telling us what is has would be a good start...there are lots of modern exhaust systems for the new camaros and mustangs that sound like garbage

"pop rocks" in soda makes me think whatever you have either has no muffler at all or a hollow resonator that looks like a muffler, both of which are common and sound "okay" on a car with cats but ones those are removed it's basically straight pipe which sounds like **** on nearly every engine

put a set of 3" duals with a muffler you like on it and either no crossover or an H pipe (not an X) and it will sound pretty old school
Old 06-28-2016, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default exhaust note

OK car has headers long tube uncapped horiffic sound can't put my finger on it .it doesn't roar it crackles like big pop rocks in soda not consistent like a big block I had a 468 Chevy super comp headers lunati cam un capped sound bad *** no one laughed when you reved it up they laugh at L's sound I realize exhaust plays a major roll in sound but why does it sound crappy uncapped if it sounds crappy uncapped how are you gonna improve that that's when it should sound its best.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

well if it's got the stock cam that's a part of it...but also if this is an electronic fuel injected engine with a computer it needs o2 sensors in the headers unless tuned to not have them...and then uncapping the exhaust exposes the o2 sensors to fresh air reversion which causes the computer to add a crap ton of fuel because it thinks the engine is running lean

at the very least it's going to need some long extensions off the headers but may still have the above mentioned problem

the tune itself can also have a large impact on exhaust note with timing adjustments and idle speed

it still won't compare to a high compression big block sound but should sound plenty fine compared to a junkyard truck big block

but a supercharged LS3 should curb stomp a vast majority of street driven big blocks..let them laugh at your taillights
Old 06-29-2016, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Where is this mythical place where people laugh at the sound of an LS engine revving?
Old 06-30-2016, 10:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

^ right

got a sound clip? I mean I didnt like my corsa+longtubes and ORY because it was a bit raspy above 2500rpm, but Id be hard pressed to believe anyone ever laughed at the sound of it.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell me your NOT going to straight pipe it. Put a real exhaust system under with with good mufflers and be done with it. Some LS cars sound downright evil in a good way with the right exhaust.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by shezam
I need some help I. Just purchased a ls3 supercharged engine and I heard this a few years ago that ls engines don't sound good but didn't know it horrible repulsive embarrassing. I need to know can I change fireing order what can I do i refuse to drive a car that sounds like pop rocks in soda I'm a HP tork guy I'm always willing to sacrifice a little sound for HP but the L's sounds extremely laim I need help I am use to big block chevys big block Pontiacs they have a deep tone L's has no tone just a bunch of pop rocks in soda.any help would be appreciated.
I've never seen a big block Pontiac....ever
Old 07-17-2016, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if OP is troll.....
Old 07-18-2016, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Exidous
Not sure if OP is troll.....
Four posts with two of them on this thread. Sounds like a troll to me.
Also.....he posted something about "big-block Pontiacs" engines.
KW

Quick Reply: Ls exhaust note terrible