Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help with possible engine damage

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with possible engine damage

While changing my oil on my 2002 Formula, I didn't realize the old oil filter washer was stuck up against the block. So when I put the new oil filter on and filled it with oil, as I started it to lower it off the ramps, all the oil came out the filter where the extra seal was. I had to drive it back up the ramp and remove the extra o ring. I refilled it. I had to replace most of the oil. Total run time was 4 or 5 seconds while it was coming out. 3-4 seconds to get it back up the ramp only halfway, then I shut her down. Wondering if I damaged any bearings. What do you think? Oil pressure is normal.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Oil pressure was your clue. If it didn't drop, no damage was done. I'm sure you're fine.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

thats another reason to make sure that you put oil on that oring before installing the filter. keeps the oring from sticking to the block along with making a better seal
Old 07-18-2016, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're getting good advice here.

While you never want to run an engine without oil, it's pretty amazing how long they will run without it if you aren't loading it up. I used to change the oil in all of our family's vehicles growing up. I literally forgot to fill my mother's Grand Marquis (4.6L 2V) on time and drove it around the neighborhood(soft on the throttle) at about 40K miles. No oil. Once I realized, I babied it back and filled it. We got over 100K out of that engine and it was still running very smoothly and burning no oil by the time a wreck finally ended it.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have ran an engine with no oil pan or timing
cover before chasing a noise, that amount
of time you mentioned is nothing.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slogo
I have ran an engine with no oil pan or timing
cover before chasing a noise, that amount
of time you mentioned is nothing.
Well you certainly upped the ante a bit with that. I'm brave but I probably wouldn't have gone that far.

If you told me that story over a beer I probably would have guessed that the noise was from running with no pan or cover! LOL
Old 07-18-2016, 03:16 PM
Teching In

As Steve said, good oil pressure is a sign that your engine is okay, which it most likely is. But just in case, it definitely wouldn't hurt to run the engine for a bit then cut open the oil filter to check for metal shavings. I personally would like the peace of mind that inspecting the oil filter would bring
Old 07-18-2016, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercier
Well you certainly upped the ante a bit with that. I'm brave but I probably wouldn't have gone that far.

If you told me that story over a beer I probably would have guessed that the noise was from running with no pan or cover! LOL
It was way over my pay grade, the service manager and the owner of vehicle was standing right there with me, arms crossed and feet tapping, I was just the dirty hands. Ended up putting a new cam and timing gear assembly in it, noise gone, customer happy.

It was pretty cool seeing it run with no tin, or balancer.

Quick Reply: Need Help with possible engine damage