Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam specs for all out blower application (700+ rwhp)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 10:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam specs for all out blower application (700+ rwhp)

Ok guys heres the deal. First, i have to admit the car in question is (gasp) a Mustang. Problem is none of the people on mustang boards will tell me what i need to know. I know i can depend on this site for great tech info. The car is a '99 Saleen S-351 (#30 of 45 built) with quite a few major upgrades from stock. As is sits, the intakes and cam are stock however. As we just upgraded the blower to a cog driven T-trim, we have the new intakes sitting on the floor of the shop (its boss mans car, he owns the shop i work at) and before we get the new tune ironed out we want to get the cam swapped. Its making 535 rwhp now with a slack tune and 13 psi. We hope to go 18-20 psi for near to 700 rwhp. Now my question is this, what makes a top notch cam for a nasty blower setup like we have. Its not even close to a daily driver so driveability is not an issue. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Im looking for specific specs if possible. Thank you in advance.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:19 AM
TECH Regular

just keep the valve overlap to a minium. 216/224 .5XX/.5XX 115 cam would be a great blower cam, plus it won't give up drive ablilty
Old 06-20-2004, 09:52 AM
dug
Banned

Did you try Corral.net ? Theyre pretty knowledgable.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:00 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I am with dug. I would try some more knowledgeable poeple on FORDS. And top notch cams are a personal choice. I have a 224/230 on a 114. But that is LS1 and just like any other application it should be model specific a LS1 is not like an old SBC motor at all and reacts differently and so would your Mustang. Good luck!
Old 06-20-2004, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PHANTA-Z
Ok guys heres the deal. First, i have to admit the car in question is (gasp) a Mustang. Problem is none of the people on mustang boards will tell me what i need to know. I know i can depend on this site for great tech info. The car is a '99 Saleen S-351 (#30 of 45 built) with quite a few major upgrades from stock. As is sits, the intakes and cam are stock however. As we just upgraded the blower to a cog driven T-trim, we have the new intakes sitting on the floor of the shop (its boss mans car, he owns the shop i work at) and before we get the new tune ironed out we want to get the cam swapped. Its making 535 rwhp now with a slack tune and 13 psi. We hope to go 18-20 psi for near to 700 rwhp. Now my question is this, what makes a top notch cam for a nasty blower setup like we have. Its not even close to a daily driver so driveability is not an issue. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Im looking for specific specs if possible. Thank you in advance.
Have a professional engine designer spec your cam and valvetrain parts. He'll take into consideration the entire engine, driveline and vehicle specifications. 700 rwhp isn't chump change, and you need everything to be right on the money to get there. BTW, will your driveline take that kind of power?

I would expect to pay a reasonable amount for the advice (free advice is usually worth everything you pay for it) either as a fee or by buying the cam and valvetrain parts from the designer. This has worked for others with Chevy engines in the same or higher HP range.

My $.02
Old 06-20-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Try giving Combination Motorsports a call. they were very knowledgeable about cams when I spoke to them. I'm not sure about their Ford stuff but their homepage states that they also deal with it so they should be worth a shot???

Troy
Old 06-20-2004, 01:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PHANTA-Z
Try giving Brent @ TEA a call, they have done some big hp Fords and should be real familiar w/requirements and have some favorite grinds!
Old 06-20-2004, 01:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes TEA should defentially be a help.