LS6 Ticking when warm and under hard cornering - Page 2 - LS1TECH

Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Ticking when warm and under hard cornering

Old 03-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #21
TECH Fanatic

Interesting, if you want to try something different that won't hurt a thing go to Walmart abd get a bottle of transX auto matic trans conditioner and put 3 ozs in your engibe oil. It won't hurt anything but it will help seal and oring trouble and clean the lifters.

Darth has a good idea, maybe you have a pin hole in the pickup tube or crack.
RockinWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:35 PM   #22
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_V8r View Post
Try overfilling the oil by a quart and see if it helps. Almost sounds like a small hole in the pickup tube above the inlet screen on the left hand side. When you turn hard left, all the oil goes to the right.
if this were the case, should I see a pressure drop while turning left? I think i would. Going to test this as well.
VerdeZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #23
TECH Fanatic

You could easily add 2 qts without any issues. I was running 7 qts for a while because I was on it hard in tight turns.
RockinWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:41 AM   #24
Launching!

So after further testing I think the tick that comes up while turning hard left is not engine related. Seems to be coming from the rear and I could hear it clearly on my gopro. I tested this while driving in a circle at decent Gs and noticing it sounded like its coming from behind. I shifted to get the rpms down but maintain the speed and the tick did not change with the rpm. So I guess thats a good thing.

The engine itself still has a sewing machine noise. Only comes up once oil temps are over 140F. Ill try to post video of it soon.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:51 AM   #25
TECH Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinWs6 View Post
Interesting, if you want to try something different that won't hurt a thing go to Walmart abd get a bottle of transX auto matic trans conditioner and put 3 ozs in your engibe oil. It won't hurt anything but it will help seal and oring trouble and clean the lifters.

Darth has a good idea, maybe you have a pin hole in the pickup tube or crack.
Would this be ok to do on a higher mileage engine? Mine is dead silent cold but after warming up has what I think is a lifter tick that gets louder after a rev when the rpms are coming down. Then its a steady faint tick at idle. Engine internally is completely stock as far as I know.
1bdbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #26
TECH Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerdeZ28 View Post
So after further testing I think the tick that comes up while turning hard left is not engine related. Seems to be coming from the rear and I could hear it clearly on my gopro.
That's good! I'd still run it a quart overfilled to make sure that pickup stays submerged.
Darth_V8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:02 PM   #27
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bdbrd View Post
Would this be ok to do on a higher mileage engine? Mine is dead silent cold but after warming up has what I think is a lifter tick that gets louder after a rev when the rpms are coming down. Then its a steady faint tick at idle. Engine internally is completely stock as far as I know.
this is almost exactly like my car. If you rev hard, lets say up to 4k, as it comes down its loudest from 1700-2200 rpm range.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:58 AM   #28
TECH Enthusiast

On your theory number 2 if this was the case your oil pressure would be much much lower. Ask me how I know lol. If the o-ring on the pickup tube is pinched or is an issue it will cause bad oil pressure and noises only after warming up. When my car was cold it had great pressure and no noises.
Docrocket1967 is online now   Reply With Quote