Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head/cam install..Update - Need opinions on my front cam bearing. Pics attached

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

I got a price quote of $1000 from 2 shops to tear down my LQ4 shortblock, clean block, hone, new cam and crank bearings, rings and reassemble short block.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for chiming in on the quotes guys! Sounds like the price is reasonable, now i just need to swing by their shop and check it out.. If i skip the ARP rod bolts i may be able to get the long block assembled for around 1500-1600.. not too bad.. compared to my 1st quote that was almost $2k just for the shortblock, had me sweating for a minute.. lol
Old 12-22-2016, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I forgot to mention, should i install a windage tray while the pan is off or do they really not make much difference? Looks like ws6store sells a "performance" one for $25..
Old 12-31-2016, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Went to the local machine shop yesterday.. talked over the parts and labor with them and they seemed to be familiar with ls1s. They had one in there they were about to turn into a 383, so good to see others using them.. the shop wasn't spotless, there were blocks and heads everywhere but you could at least walk around.. reminded me of a typical auto shop.. I talked them into giving me a 90 day warranty if I used their parts and if they set up all of the heads and valvetrain.. they know it's performance build so they didn't want to at all, so I thought that was good..

Getting a cherry picker tomorrow and a valley cover lifting plate.. planning to remove next weekend.. from the looks of it I just need to remove the ac compressor, alternator, torque converter bolts, outer trans case bolts, motor mount bolts, and it's ready to pull.. hopefully it goes fairly smooth.. I'm excited to get it together.. I'll try to start some kind of build thread and post results eventually.

If there's anything anyone would recommend upgrading while the motor is out feel free to chime back in.. going to stick with durabond and clevite bearings.. I am going to do arp bolts just for piece of mind.. and to top it off, sacc city corvettes new oil barbell lol.. not sure about baffles or windage trays, I'll have to figure that out as I go

Thanks for all the help and valuable input from everyone. I really hope this thread will be helpful for others in the future..

Quick Reply: Head/cam install..Update - Need opinions on my front cam bearing. Pics attached