Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heavy oil usage

Old 06-23-2004, 02:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy oil usage

Everytime when it's time to change the oil, when I check the oil, it's at the bottom of the rod. Could this oil loss be due to worn piston rings? I have 55,000 mi on the car, fyi. I'm getting a cam installed next week -- should I go ahead and have them install new rings while they're at it?
Old 06-23-2004, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should check you oil a little more often than every time you change the oil. Most LS1's have oil consumption problems so keep a close eye on it .

I check my oil about once a week and I add 1 quart about every 2000 miles. I change my oil at around 5000 to 6000 mile intervals though.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:33 PM
FMJ
Teching In

My 02 LS1 Z-28 is using about 1 qt (5w-30 mineral) every 3000 miles, the motor has 34,000 on it. Would this be considered "normal usage or do I need to be concerned

FMJ
Old 09-12-2004, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

My 02 has about 56k miles on it and I average between 1-2qts of oil between oil changes (3-4k miles). I'd say it's fairly normal, just keep an eye on the stick.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:51 PM
FMJ
Teching In

Wow!, that seems like alot. I just got rid of a 94 SS Impala that didn't use even half a quart between changes. I just bought this LS1 a few months ago, and am learning new things about it all the time

Thanks!
FMJ
Old 09-12-2004, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

If i'm not mistaken GM's allowance for oil consumption for the LS-1 is like 1 qt every 3,000 miles. At least that's what i was told. Darn PCV system But i wouldn't worry to much about it. Try using a catch can on the PCV system and see if most of it goes away. The day before my engine it ate 3 1/2 quarts in 6 hours!!!! Rings were gone. But sounds like yours is normal. Just keep an eye on the dipstick and read up on what people have done to cut down the oil consumption. And Good Luck with it
Old 09-12-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

On my 98 TA i put in 6qts so it was at the top of the operating range on the stick, and it never drops even a 1/4 inch. I change it at 2500-3000 miles. I'm just in the middle of a cam swap and really hoping it doesn't change my luck as far as not burning any oil.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by YeahIt'sReal
If i'm not mistaken GM's allowance for oil consumption for the LS-1 is like 1 qt every 3,000 miles. At least that's what i was told. Darn PCV system But i wouldn't worry to much about it. Try using a catch can on the PCV system and see if most of it goes away. The day before my engine it ate 3 1/2 quarts in 6 hours!!!! Rings were gone. But sounds like yours is normal. Just keep an eye on the dipstick and read up on what people have done to cut down the oil consumption. And Good Luck with it
A catch can on the PCV system won't eliminate oil consumption, it just keeps it from going into the intake manifold. You'll just be able to see how much oil comes through the PCV. I know it sounds like I burn a lot of oil, but I just got an analysis back from the lab and my engine is nice and healthy with better than average wear numbers.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Any links to making this PCV catch can setup? I'd prefer not losing a $5 qt of M1 every 4K either...
Old 09-12-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=catch+can

http://www.accmachtech.com/pcvcatchcans.htm

Try a search.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pimpmaro
A catch can on the PCV system won't eliminate oil consumption, it just keeps it from going into the intake manifold. You'll just be able to see how much oil comes through the PCV. I know it sounds like I burn a lot of oil, but I just got an analysis back from the lab and my engine is nice and healthy with better than average wear numbers.
Can you post your oil analysis report on this forum for us to see?

And also here too please:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...?ubb=forum;f=3
Old 09-13-2004, 04:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

If i'm not mistaken GM's allowance for oil consumption for the LS-1 is like 1 qt every 3,000 miles.

Actually its 1 qt for 2k miles
Old 09-13-2004, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

I didn't say eliminate oil consumption. I said cut down oil consumption. The oil in my catch can after 3,000 miles was roughly 3/4 of the oil my engine was burning in that 3,000 miles. and if it goes into the intake it is gonna bet burnt in combustion. I think . All i know is that the oil that was getting lost in that 3,000 miles , most of it was coming through the PCV system. Now this was on mine yours may differ. And i know that it's better to be in that catch can than in my intake and getting burnt out the exhaust.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Venkman
Actually its 1 qt for 2k miles

sorry i knew it was something like that. 2k 3k what's the difference.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't say eliminate oil consumption. I said cut down oil consumption. The oil in my catch can after 3,000 miles was roughly 3/4 of the oil my engine was burning in that 3,000 miles. and if it goes into the intake it is gonna bet burnt in combustion. I think . All i know is that the oil that was getting lost in that 3,000 miles , most of it was coming through the PCV system. Now this was on mine yours may differ. And i know that it's better to be in that catch can than in my intake and getting burnt out the exhaust.
Heh, sorry about that, I missread what you meant. For some reason when I read that, I was thinking you were under the impression that a catch can would prevent you from losing oil from the pan or recycle oil back to the pan or something like that. I agree with you 100%, it's much better to catch it than to let it get dumped back into the intake...
Old 09-14-2004, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here you go Patman...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/215859-oil-analysis-came-back.html

I haven't yet had a chance to throw it up on the other forum, I'm waiting for the damn registration period.

Next oil analysis should come as an email, so it ought to look a lot better to post.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:14 AM
On The Tree

I had a couple bad lifters in mine...burnt oil bad....
Old 09-14-2004, 04:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here you go Patman...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215859

I haven't yet had a chance to throw it up on the other forum, I'm waiting for the damn registration period.

Sorry about the wait! I'm one of the admins on that site who takes care of those registrations, and since you registered while I was sleeping it took longer than normal for the approval process. You're in now. Thanks for joining!
Old 09-14-2004, 06:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TexMax
Everytime when it's time to change the oil, when I check the oil, it's at the bottom of the rod. Could this oil loss be due to worn piston rings? I have 55,000 mi on the car, fyi. I'm getting a cam installed next week -- should I go ahead and have them install new rings while they're at it?
Mine has burnt a little oil since I got it (new). It may be overkill, but I check the oil before I go out now (just to be safe)
I would do a compression test before you opt for the new rings, just to be sure if thats what your car needs.

FWIW My car doesn't burn a drop when the wife drives it... I attribute ALL of my oil consumption issues to my driving. If I don't put my foot in it, I don't have to add oil between changes.

Good Luck with your ride!
Old 09-14-2004, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Patman
Sorry about the wait! I'm one of the admins on that site who takes care of those registrations, and since you registered while I was sleeping it took longer than normal for the approval process. You're in now. Thanks for joining!
Thanks! I'll have the analysis up in a bit.

Search this Thread