Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth the extra money to do heads???

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by codyvette
I'm going to disagree with the ten bolt being good even for a stock six speed if you launch with spirit at the track. I think the rear and suspension is where modding g should always start. I am not an S60 fan and would rather have a 9" but to each his own.
Ummmmmm no question. If you are keeping the car, after basic bolt ons the rear is next.....lets just dump $1500 into a car then blow the rear 100 miles later......yea my flywheel hp is 525, but my rwhp is zero cause my rear is out of the car and i dont have the money to fix it. I never launched my cammed fbody for 3 years because i was afraid that one launch would ruin my rear and i wouldnt be able to drive my car.

Op, agreeing with a few here, try the used classifieds, plenty of ppl have low mileage parts due to change in builds. You have plenty of time until its race time, so take some time to source some used stuff.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo3
That is why I posted asking the question, I'm looking into just porting my heads. I suggest anyone else besides advance induction?
Depends on where you are located. Near where I am there are at least 4 race shops within a 2 hour drive that do LS engines. I would check local prices before shipping them off if you can get good reviews on the local companies. Helps prevent paying the insane shipping cost for heavy *** heads.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're looking at only getting stock castings ported, you really can't go wrong with Advanced Induction or TEA. Both companies put out a great product that is back by great ET's and dyno numbers. I cannot speak to Frankenstein ported heads, as I've never seen them, nor have I seen dyno numbers or ET's from their ported 241, 243, 799, 317 heads.

Quick Reply: Is it worth the extra money to do heads???