Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls9 cam in ls1

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls9 cam in ls1

has anybody ever put an ls9 cam in an ls1 with 243 heads and dynoed the car? because im planing on putting an ls9 cam ported 243,s and a ported ls2 intake on a 2001 ss camaro
Old 02-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

It's a horrible cam.

Get a real cam.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
It's a horrible cam.

Get a real cam.
It's not a horrible cam, It will make more power than stock but there are better cams that will get you more power. The cost savings alone just aren't worth running the LS9 cam naturally aspirated.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this install and got the car tuned and dynoed last week. I have done couple of other ls1 and ls3 builds and I am very impressed with this results. There are better option If you are looking for some peak hp number or looking for some specific racing application. But for real life application, the LS9 cam is probably one of the best cams you can get, for forced induction and naturally aspirated.

Last edited by cynrat; 03-27-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:35 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by cynrat
I just did this install and got the car tuned and dynoed last week. I have done couple of other ls1 and ls3 builds and I am very impressed with this results. There are better option If you are looking for some peak hp number or looking for some specific racing application. But for real life application, the LS9 cam is probably one of the best cams you can get, for forced induction and naturally aspirated.
So what were the results?
Old 03-28-2017, 12:01 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by cynrat
I very stronger disagree.
Its a cam designed with idle and emissions in mind.

This has even been magazine tested.
Here is a comparison vs a LJMS S2 cam.
Across the board power/torque gains, and it did it on less boost. The LJ S2 cam is a shelf cam and isn't really optimized for that combo, either.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...ged-ls-engine/
Old 03-28-2017, 12:28 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

That article is way out in left field… You are comparing a big bore, destroked, trick flow LS3 headed monster. With aftermarket intake and who knows what static compression? That engine won't behave like stock LS1 would. A 30hp gain on that engine isn't much, it likely makes well north of 500HP NA.

I’d like to see the 2 combos at the track run back to back with a typical T4 turbo cranked up to kill on a bone stock LS1. With a typical stall and optimized setup you won’t ever be below 4k in a stalled auto drag application.

I was launching well over 4k rpm with the LS9 cam in my 5.3. So the wheezy bottom end wasn’t an issue. It’s also very backpressure friendly with the huge LSA. I was running almost 2.8:1 back pressure wise at 26lbs. That’s 73 psi in the manifolds! And remained detonation free and happy. Doubt I could do that on a tight LSA cam. (obviously needed a larger turbo, but that’s not the point). Most street setups run pretty high back pressure wise.

I think the LS9 was also designed to limit power in the lower RPM to be friendly on OEM parts. Not always a bad thing… Swapping covers and cam gears is only around $70 worth of parts. Extending the 3 wires is easy. Still under $200 for a cam and all the running gear.

It’s a good budget cam IMO. If money was no option It’s not what I’d go with either. If I had the choice of factory truck cams or the LS9… I’d go LS9.

Quick Reply: ls9 cam in ls1