Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom cam vs Shelf cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Default Custom cam vs Shelf cam

This is what Brian Tooley had to say on FB about the topic.

"I would like to talk about CUSTOM cams vs "SHELF" cams. Every cam we have on the shelf IS a custom cam, and they performed well enough that we decided to stock them on the shelf.

We just had a customer in a 3000lb street car run 4.50's @ 162 in the 1/8mi with a hydraulic roller cam, which is the fastest LSx at this weight running a hydraulic roller cam. Just so happens that this cam is on the shelf because it has ran 159 and 160 in two other combinations.

Some applications are unique enough to require a custom cam, most are not.

So here is how you should think about cams:

SHELF cam = Proven cam.

CUSTOM cam = cam THAT MAY NOT WORK WELL!

I hope this helps!"
Old 02-19-2017, 07:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 536 Likes on 383 Posts

I seen that post as well. Using a Custom Cam can make you somewhat of a risk taker/guinea pig. They don't always make more power than a shelf cam. I have to agree with Brian.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

10-15yrs ago I think there was a place for custom cams being not every combination of parts had been tried and tested. In 2017, 20yrs after the birth of the first LS platform, I do not see anybody reinventing the wheel on cam shaft design for a plastic intake 346 or 364 inch motors. The biggest change has been lobe design in the last 5yrs and most of the older cam designs were updated to the new smoother lobe stuff. So I agree...90℅ of most setups do not need a cam customs spec'd for their application because that setup has more then likely been replicated countless times and their is a cam out there on the shelf that will match up perfectly for your setup and goals.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which cam were they talking about ?
Old 02-19-2017, 02:22 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

One other thing: shelf Comp Cams are ground on CNC equipment in large batches. They are usually dead nuts correct. And Comp has fixed a lot of their issues with the cams that would gall and squeal.

The custom stuff is run on older lathes and may not be cut accurately or with the same finish to them. That's the issue with one-off stuff.

If you were going to do a Comp Cam... I'd only do shelf.

Custom would be Cam Motion as each one is cut the same.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
10-15yrs ago I think there was a place for custom cams being not every combination of parts had been tried and tested. In 2017, 20yrs after the birth of the first LS platform, I do not see anybody reinventing the wheel on cam shaft design for a plastic intake 346 or 364 inch motors. The biggest change has been lobe design in the last 5yrs and most of the older cam designs were updated to the new smoother lobe stuff. So I agree...90℅ of most setups do not need a cam customs spec'd for their application because that setup has more then likely been replicated countless times and their is a cam out there on the shelf that will match up perfectly for your setup and goals.

thank you!!! Agreed!!
Old 02-19-2017, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks for sharing.

I've been eyeballing that BTR LS1 Stage 2 for over a year now but not wanting to pull the trigger till I see what this thing can do with bolt-ons. Doing all my pulleys and k-member this year and wondering if I should just do it while I'm there.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:41 AM
On The Tree

I would consider a shelf cam as one already designed and kept in stock or readily available from a performance shop or cam company, i.e. BTR stage 4, Comp XR 275 HR etc.

A custom cam for me would be designed as a one off for a specific combination when looking to maximise the abilities of that combination where shelf cam variations are limited and a unique grind would make a definite and significant tq/hp improvement (certainly not any Chev smallblock/LS engine these days).

In many instances of the "which cam should I get?" question asked a gazillion times on here the advice has been given to call (insert name here) for a custom spec. In 99.9% of those instances an off the shelf cam of some variation from any cam vendor/company would have probably done just fine. The gains with a "custom" grind would be none to minimal over a good shelf cam, my 2c worth .

Last edited by Jase01; 02-20-2017 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:47 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
One other thing: shelf Comp Cams are ground on CNC equipment in large batches. They are usually dead nuts correct. And Comp has fixed a lot of their issues with the cams that would gall and squeal.

The custom stuff is run on older lathes and may not be cut accurately or with the same finish to them. That's the issue with one-off stuff.

If you were going to do a Comp Cam... I'd only do shelf.

Custom would be Cam Motion as each one is cut the same.
FWIW, the custom cam I ordered from Comp for my 4.25" stroke combo was on the money.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

The custom cam we ordered in 2002 from Comp Cam's was spot on when checked on a cam doctor.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

My main rub with Comp is that they are stupidly slow to admit any sort of a product problem. How long did they deny a cam core issue?
Old 02-20-2017, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
My main rub with Comp is that they are stupidly slow to admit any sort of a product problem. How long did they deny a cam core issue?
Or the whining. I had to send my custom cam back and basically force them to polish it free of the chatter marks (the polishing job was mediocre). This cam was ground in 2013 - right in the heart of the fiasco. Too bad I see it as junk and won't being using it in anything I value. Ironically, the actual specs I chose mirror much of what we are seeing replicated today over and over again for a basic H/C/I build.

Back to the topic at hand. If that "shelf cam" wasn't designed in the last 3-4 years, you are better to walk away and find one that was. As previously mentioned we have come a long way in the last little while with respect to lobe design and valvetrain stability/longevity options. The "declassification" of information by members and vendors has increased buyer confidence in the procurement of a camshaft. Thankfully gone are the days of .6XX"/.6XX" 2XX/2XX 1XX+X - tell anyone the specs and I will off your family.

I would suggest, as others have, unique applications will necessitate a custom cam (ie. a max effort build) vs. the shelf grind (proven/safe/predictable).
Old 02-20-2017, 12:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 536 Likes on 383 Posts

Good thread.... some vendors/people don't off shelf cams such as Pat G. You have to fill out the cam card data sheet specifying weight, gears, tranny, stall, use of vehicle, compression etc..... He don't use comp cores at all anymore. All his cams is cut off a cam Motion core or a callies (Texas speed) core.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:36 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
FWIW, the custom cam I ordered from Comp for my 4.25" stroke combo was on the money.
Not saying it always happens. But the older equipment is used for the one-offs typically. And that's where there can be issues.

But the lobe profiles Comp has are pretty awesome. Lots of R&D in them.

And yes, it took them a while to come around on the cam core issue. But it wasn't the finish or the material that was the problem... And they looked at GM cores and the cores from Catepillar to discover the issue... yeah.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I've always agreed with this!!!! New users always fall for the custom cam bait trick! 99% of users are fine to let someone recommend them a proven shelf grind.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Good thread.... some vendors/people don't off shelf cams such as Pat G. You have to fill out the cam card data sheet specifying weight, gears, tranny, stall, use of vehicle, compression etc..... He don't use comp cores at all anymore. All his cams is cut off a cam Motion core or a callies (Texas speed) core.
I'd be surprised if Pat G doesn't have a go to list of proven lobe profiles he combines to make up a cam for his customers.

I don't think there'd be too many LS combos that haven't already been done before that would require really nutting out unique valve events/lobe area for a truly "custom" cam that's going to gain significantly over one currently available.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

There was a "post your custom cam specs" thread a while back. Lots of people were running the same exact cams, which is a surprise to some. I had a close friend afraid to change ANYTHING about his car once he had Pat G spec him a cam. I still think he is an idiot for that one.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A cam doesn't care what it is called. An engine doesn't care what it is called. Turbo cam, nitrous cam, blower cam, N/A cam...the engine doesn't care.

All that matters is that the cam is correct for the application.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thumbs up cams

Originally Posted by Martin Smallwood
A cam doesn't care what it is called. An engine doesn't care what it is called. Turbo cam, nitrous cam, blower cam, N/A cam...the engine doesn't care.

All that matters is that the cam is correct for the application.
Great thread but this is the most correct statement of all and they were all good

Quick Reply: Custom cam vs Shelf cam