Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do lifter rods work and why arent they working for me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default how do lifter rods work and why arent they working for me?

ok so ive tried the 5/16 rod trick twice now while changing a cam. both times it was in a vette both 02s. the drivers side slide in fine both times. the passenger side would not go in the first car. i had to work it in the second car. however with both cars i could go by the push rods and simply push them down as if there was no rod there. some of them would not move which is what i was expecting this trick to do for me. so whats up? i dont see how they will prevent anything from happening when i can push some of them down as if the rod was not in there at all. im simply using 5/16 round stock. mild steel zinc coated. got them from the home depot.

are there other ways to hold the lifters up? i know about the pen magnet trick, not too keen on it though. thanks
Old 06-25-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Snow Dog
ok so ive tried the 5/16 rod trick twice now while changing a cam. both times it was in a vette both 02s. the drivers side slide in fine both times. the passenger side would not go in the first car. i had to work it in the second car. however with both cars i could go by the push rods and simply push them down as if there was no rod there. some of them would not move which is what i was expecting this trick to do for me. so whats up? i dont see how they will prevent anything from happening when i can push some of them down as if the rod was not in there at all. im simply using 5/16 round stock. mild steel zinc coated. got them from the home depot.

are there other ways to hold the lifters up? i know about the pen magnet trick, not too keen on it though. thanks
What is wrong with the pen magnet method? It is pretty secure if you know what to look for to ensure they are attached securely. I have heard people using your rod technique but instead the attached velcro going down the rod to give some resistance to the lifters. You could also do the TDC method or buy the JPR tool from Thunder Racing.

Their is alot of ways to do it but the pen magnet method will work fine if you do it correctly.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've actually have done over 30 cams with nothing holding the lifters up and haven't dropped one yet.Must be luck.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same Here SlowHawk..

Just spin the camshaft a few times after the rockers and pushrods are pulled.
Remove and reinstall..

Dave
Old 06-26-2004, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Instead of 5/16 use 3/16 with a strip of self adhesive velcro wrapped around it for the passenger side. The 5/16 got stuck on my passenger side too.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:34 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by monodax
What is wrong with the pen magnet method? It is pretty secure if you know what to look for to ensure they are attached securely. I have heard people using your rod technique but instead the attached velcro going down the rod to give some resistance to the lifters. You could also do the TDC method or buy the JPR tool from Thunder Racing.

Their is alot of ways to do it but the pen magnet method will work fine if you do it correctly.

well...If you dont check the magnets...and the ends of the pen magnet itself....
they can come off...and you have to get a little grabber tool to get them out..or pull off the heads...

I should know...
I had the end of the pen come off(metal end with magnet in it...not just the little magnet...yet...)...and in th eprocess of fishing it out with a little claw grabber...the magnet came out of the end....
ended up being about an hour wasted on fishing the dam thing out....plus however long we took for lunch while we went out and bought the little claw grabber tool.....

then we just spun it around and swapped the cams...

just spin the dam thing..
pull out the cam...put the new one right in....
our cars have a desighn that keeps the lifters from sliding on their own...and it works dam well....
everyonce in a while one will fall.... but its rare....and usually it was sitting around for a while(like leaving it overnight)or they did other stuf before stticking in the cam...causing vibration and shaking...which works them down cause of gravity.....
Old 06-26-2004, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well im not really wanting to take that risk. thats why i was using the lifter rods to begin with, to eliminate the risk of a lifter falling. that turns a simple cam install into something major if it happens. not cool.

so does anyone else have any suggestions or insight as to how they are supposed ot work and why they arent working for me? thanks