Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Cranking Speed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 193 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Engine Cranking Speed?

I'm trying to diagnose an engine that won't run due to injectors not being pulsed by the PCM.

My question is-how fast should the engine turn with just the starter? My tuner is here with his lap top hooked up and his screen shows only 132RPM when cranking the engine over. He has HP Tuner software and it updates/refreshes very quickly so I believe what we are seeing on his screen is accurate.

I'm asking this question because I "think" my machine shop gave me the wrong crank back.. I took them a crank with a 24tooth reluctor ring, and I "think" they gave me a 58 tooth crank back in return, or otherwise if they had to remove the reluctor ring, they put the wrong one back on.

I would think that an engine would spin faster than that when cranking. If the machine shop put the wrong reluctor ring on the crank, or gave me the wrong crank back a 58tooth ring is going to show HALF the actual cranking speed... I think... Or maybe it would show double?
Old 03-20-2017, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd guess around 140ish. Did you get a look at the reluctor wheel? Was it one piece?

Quick Reply: Engine Cranking Speed?