Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Rebuild" Stuck

Old 04-12-2017, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Rebuild" Stuck

Hello all,

Im currently rebuilding an LS1 that (I believe) was submerged in water or something. The valley cover is covered in corrosion. There is also a nice patina on the block that also looks like corrosion of some sort. Regardless, i have torn down the engine to the rotating assembly and honestly it all looks pretty good. There was some thick sludge inside (the head gaskets went and it sat) so I cleaned it all out and i am currently in the process of rebuilding it. The camshaft was ruined (it had some major scoring and some rust on the lobes) so I obviously am going to replace it, as well as the lifters. I suppose my main question would be do I need to replace my pushrods? I've seen the "total length" mentioned, however I do not understand what that means. Ideally I would like to put a new camshaft in it, put new lifters in it and use the stock pushrods as I am on a tight budget. Also, I did a complete bone-head move: as I was trying to remove the harmonic ballancer, I placed a bolt that was too small in the threads where the flywheel bolts up and i believe i stripped it. (I know, idiot move). There is, however, a silver lining as the flywheel bolt goes in about 3/4 of a turn so, what i am wondering is could i chase the threads and salvage try to salvage it? Any ideas or advice would be terrific (this is my first engine "build") so I apologize for the stupid questions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Rebuild" Stuck