Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Robz style motor with Twin Turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robz style motor with Twin Turbos?

I just wanted to post a setup question like this. I am think of building a motor like Rob's that revvs to around 9k then adding twins to it. Anyone think it would work and run 8s even with a m6 trans am? Im just throwing it out there to see if people maybe agree with the idea or not lemme know your opinions!!
Old 03-30-2017, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cold_Precision
I just wanted to post a setup question like this. I am think of building a motor like Rob's that revvs to around 9k then adding twins to it. Anyone think it would work and run 8s even with a m6 trans am? Im just throwing it out there to see if people maybe agree with the idea or not lemme know your opinions!!
I believe a twin s366 on a 388ci like robz will easily have the power to run 8s and should easily make 1200whp.. You just need a diff and tranny to support it.. You will also need either a faceplated tranny or straight cut gears on an m6 to shift that high. Solid roller and dry sump oiling system is also a must if you shift at 9k rpm. Block/heads will need be 6 bolt if you want it reliably over 1000whp.. Suspension must be optimized to cut 1.2/1.3 60fts.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

BTW.. Why do you need a robz style motor? You can build a 427ci on hyd roller cam spinning under 7.5k rpm and run 8s.. Unless your class limited I don't see the point
Old 03-30-2017, 01:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Public Enemy
BTW.. Why do you need a robz style motor? You can build a 427ci on hyd roller cam spinning under 7.5k rpm and run 8s.. Unless your class limited I don't see the point
That was my other thought mainly as the 427 is my personal favorite motor. I want to be able to drive the vehicle on the weekends and I would like to have a full interior. These are long term plans for the car. I knew that robz car was streetable and just a little bit lighter than my 2000 ws6. Do you believe a full weight t/a would be able to accomplish that with the 427 setup as well? I know more displacement would make more power. I just had thought the reason Rob could run such a great time in his full weight, m6, vette was due to the high rpm. However I certainly don't know everything so I could be wrong. I do already have plans to get the t56 faceplated and built up along with a mwc 9" as well. However suspension wise im still searching around for. As I said these are long term plans and I am only 18 and don't quite have all the funds for such a big project all at once.

Last edited by Cold_Precision; 03-30-2017 at 02:52 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That was my other thought mainly as the 427 is my personal favorite motor. I want to be able to drive the vehicle on the weekends and I would like to have a full interior. These are long term plans for the car. I knew that robz car was streetable and just a little bit lighter than my 2000 ws6. Do you believe a full weight t/a would be able to accomplish that with the 427 setup as well? I know more displacement would make more power. I just had thought the reason Rob could run such a great time in his full weight, m6, vette was due to the high rpm. However I certainly don't know everything so I could be wrong. I do already have plans to get the t56 faceplated and built up along with a mwc 9" as well. However suspension wise im still searching around for. As I said these are long term plans and I am only 18 and don't quite have all the funds for such a big project all at once.
How much weight have you removed to be as light as Robz? Rob's car had a bunch of weight reduction:
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=558163
Old 03-30-2017, 02:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by whatsa347
How much weight have you removed to be as light as Robz? Rob's car had a bunch of weight reduction:
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=558163
Currently my car is bone stock with a cat back exhaust. I just bought it around 2 months ago the curb weight i believe is 3400lbs. I will have to find out what I can all do for weight reduction as I would really like to keep the interior near stock like other than the cage im sure I will need. The Vette he raced was about 3100lbs and he says that on this thread. http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-parts-for-sale-wanted/3367148-record-setting-ls7-motor-for-sale-with-upgrades-2.html#post1594009045

​​​​​

Last edited by Cold_Precision; 03-30-2017 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:18 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Whats the obsession with wanting a huge engine that revs to 9 grand to run 8s?

You can run 8s on a stock displacement 5.3 with the cheapest forged pistons/rods you can find and 6500 RPM.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:53 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

A wise man once said; "RPM stands for Ruins People's Motors".
Old 03-30-2017, 10:50 AM
Banned

So true KCS! It may sound good but not in Real Life for the AVG person. High Dollar parts are Required 1k just on intake valves.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey just to add for clarity:

I went with high rpm because I wanted to stay small cubes(under 400) and n/a. I wanted to see how quick and fast we could go with those parameters.

Rpm is definitely hard on everything.

The ITB manifold was key in making that setup perfectly streetable.

The car when it had the 388 in was with minor weight removal for a C5z. The best times were 9.32 and 148mph. That setup was street/strip car.

If I put that motor in my c5 now setup as a racecar and much lighter it should run 8's n/a. I also build a n/a 396 that spun to 10K that may ~950fwhp on it's initial testing but sold that motor so never got to test it in my car.

So, I agree with most that if you want to run 8's with a 427 then do the turbos and lighten the car as much as you feel comfortable see how it runs. The rpm shouldn't be necessary and will add a lot more cost and maintenance to the build. You could always do a solid roller and spin it to ~7500 without much grief.

And keep in mind getting the power to the ground is a big part of this. You are going to need seat time in this car especially if its a stick. I'd probably do it in stages too so you can enjoy the car and learn how to drive it and what it's capable of.

BTW I have my car up for sale with the 346 cam only setup if anyone is interested.

Goodluck
Old 05-03-2017, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

As I said these are long term plans and I am only 18 and don't quite have all the funds for such a big project all at once.
Be patient grasshopper you have much to learn and plenty of time to get there.

By the time you have enough to start this sort of build the current technology will have already passed the parts and setups you're thinking about now...... unless you have lots of high performance resources and about 15 grand tucked away under your pillow. For all I know you can start this build next week, we all start somewhere and everyone has different resources available.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

388's are the coolest. And are plying around at 7500 rpm

Quick Reply: Robz style motor with Twin Turbos?