Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam? for newb

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 01:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam? for newb

so i have bout 550 bux to spend on my car and im thinking of what to get.
all i have installed rite now is in my sig(also the car has bout 60,000 miles on it). i have a couple of options but i dont know what would give me the most bang for my buck.
i was thinking of getting one of the following:
1. ls6 intake manifold and slp lid
2. cam , springs and rods
3. torque converter
this car is my daily driver and i need to get bout the same gas mileage( drive bout 60 miles a day) , and i dont want anything that will create problems down the line, or make it difficult to deal with (only 18, and short on time and money).
1. everyone has the ls6 manifold and lid, so i was thinking, maybe its time, to get one, but does it make more of a diff then a cam?
2.im really attracted to the cam, it seems to give good power increase, and make car sound uber sexy. i think i want an lsa of 114 so the idle is strong (AC and stuff). i was thinking of a 224/224, but im not sure. also is it necessary to get new springs and rods? (remember i want a healthy stable engine , no worries). ALSO I PLAN TO KEEP STOCK HEADS
3. the torque converter sounds promising, but its only off the line speed, i want something that will pull harder up top.
thats bout it, if u have any other ideas of what to get that would help alot. also if i go cam, should i get ls1edit tune or some other tune, and how much is a good tune?
thanks ima go take a now
Old 06-27-2004, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, the $550 probably isn't going to get you a cam you would be happy with. You could buy one used, and have a buddy install it for you, but if you go with any size, you'll end up needing a tune, and they run $500+ all by themselves. I think you're on the right track w/ the lid and Z06 Intake Manifold. You've got air going out just fine, now it's time to get air in faster. When I went w/ the lid, filter, and exhaust, my gas miliage actually improved quite noticably. Plus the power was noticable on the first trip out! Very happy w/ that. Good luck on your ride man. Keep us up to date on her. ..... <---- Well, not for you yet, but soon.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, and PS: the SLP ram air mod was a very nice addition also. Really kicks in about 40mph. You could probably fab one up for just about nothing too if money was a big problem.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:55 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your not really setup for a cam yet. you dont have any intake or exaust work. with only 550 spend look into a TC (if one will even fit that budget). if not then start with some light bolt ons; TB, pulley, lid or a catback.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

pacesetters and lid
Old 06-27-2004, 03:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go with the TC. Definatley the biggest bang for the buck. Your car isn't really ready for a cam with out LT headers and w/o a converter. A TC will give you a lot more than just off the line pick up. It will keep you in the power band much better than than the stocker so it will pull harder all the time. For a good converter your probably going to be just a bit over your budget if you do the install your self. I would reccomend a minimum of 3000. It won't make much of a difference if most of your driving is done on the highway. A TCI converter will run you about $500. Plus depending on what type you use you'll probably need about $40 in trans fluid. Many of the sponsors to the right offer TCI.

Good Luck.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:15 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would definately consider pacesetters & a lid, or a converter swap first. The converter swap is definately my favorite mod for the a4 cars
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 06-28-2004, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

oh yea i forgot, what about a good set of headers, oh yea update pf, i do have am thunder flowmaster catbacks