Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 LS6 cam in 6.0 L ..... valvetrain geometry???

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 02 LS6 cam in 6.0 L ..... valvetrain geometry???

Here is my plan (already bought it all)

6.0 L LQ4 shortblock
6.0 L LQ4 heads MILLED .030 (shouldnt have any piston clearance issues SHOULD I??? Willl only give me about 10:1)
6.0 L LQ4 valves

02 LS6 cam
02 LS6 valve spings

02 stock 5.3 L intake and accessories

SupermaXX headers and pipes (maybe a cutout with MPP2 )

my question is this.............if memory serves me correctly, part of the camshaft geometry in the 02 up Z06 cams was the pushrods or valve length that gave it the extra lift??????

talked to a vendor and he told me that he put the 02 LS6 cam in an LQ9 longblock and it simply burns the tires off from the get go, in a TRUCK with A4.........this is what made my desire for this set up peak.....and I could have a decent idle and give big power !!

I am gonna plunk all this **** together expecting about 400 hp in my 02 burban........am i gonna be a sorrily disappointed mo fo???

help a brutha out ???

thanks

RAT

02 Burb
01 Z oh
01 Formy
Old 06-29-2004, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pushrods and valve length have nothing to do with valve lift. Their lengths will affect geometry but not lift.
Lift will only change through the lobe lift on the cam and rocker arm ratio
Old 06-29-2004, 11:26 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

I think you could come up with a better choice in the camshaft department. Its very likely that you'd be able to gain torque, throttle response, and peak HP with a custom grind cam. Overall, that little setup would make a nice upgrade to a suburban. I've been thinking of dropping one in my Tahoe since its my daily driver. Figure it would make the drive a little more enjoyable.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BigTex
I think you could come up with a better choice in the camshaft department. Its very likely that you'd be able to gain torque, throttle response, and peak HP with a custom grind cam. Overall, that little setup would make a nice upgrade to a suburban. I've been thinking of dropping one in my Tahoe since its my daily driver. Figure it would make the drive a little more enjoyable.
I want it to idle nicely, will go custom grind if this one doesnt make me smile

I swear when the 02 Z06 came out, I read on corvetteforum that the valvetrain ........ well, that to swap the cam from the LS6, you had to use the entire valvetrain.....cam, pushrods, valves (I know they are the lighter sodium filled ones) to achieve the same set up

so based on what I am hearing here, this set up SHOULD get the same lift / duration as if it were in a Z06?

thanks

RAT
Old 06-30-2004, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Unaffiliated Racing
pushrods and valve length have nothing to do with valve lift. Their lengths will affect geometry but not lift.
Lift will only change through the lobe lift on the cam and rocker arm ratio
here what I was talkin about:

" The LS1 block was used from 97 to 00, and the LS6 block was used thereafter. The cam journals are the same size and distance but the cam base circle of the LS6 was reduced in size to achieve higher lift without enlarging the journal bores in the block. In doing so, GM lengthend the valves on the LS6 by .6mm or 6mm to keep the geometry correct. If you are putting LS6 heads and valves on an LS1 and keeping the LS1 cam base circle you should change the pushrods to 7.350" length. In your case I don't know what your pushrod length should be, but you can measure it, or hopefully someone on the forum has done your build and will give you the lengths. "

I am really confused now

HELP

RAT
Old 07-01-2004, 01:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pushrod length checking tool..buy it and use it. It's the only way to know exactly what length you need