Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head swap then cam swap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default head swap then cam swap?

ok trying to save me some headache and money here. Was thinking i could just get those $999 stage2 pp heads and just install them, then later on when i get the rest of the money for cam, i could do the cam swap. is this a bad idea? i figure it will make the swaps easier and i can start on it as soon as i buy the heads. wonder what kinda power i will have with just the heads?
Old 06-30-2004, 03:54 PM
FormerVendor

i dunno to much bout that but from what ive heard..people say cam first because the ls1 heads are a good flowing head..but not too sure but ive seen with your setup dynoed with a t-rex cam..i htink pushin like 420 hp<- not to osure exacxtly but i know it was in the 400 range..so yea
Old 06-30-2004, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

im doing a cam, im just saying if i install the heads first so that i have the dual springs and tit retainers then in a couple more weeks when i get the money for the cam, the car will be ready and i can save me the headache of doing these major installs all at once, less things to go wrong when your doing things separate.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:08 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its easier to do a cam and head install all at once, save up thhe money and do them together.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:19 PM
FormerVendor

Installing a cam with heads adds an extra hour at most...just wait a few weeks and do it all at once.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrp
its easier to do a cam and head install all at once, save up thhe money and do them together.
yeah but it may be a long time, i forgot i need to save up for a tune also. could be months, and then summer is gonna be gone, it would be nice to have at least the heads in there, i dont know maybe im crazy.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HeritageLS1
Installing a cam with heads adds an extra hour at most...just wait a few weeks and do it all at once.
an hour to remove radiator, waterpump, pulley, timing cover, chain, oil pump, cam, unbolt pan, install pump, oring, chain, line it all up, new front seal, then put everything back together, id like to see someone who hasnt done this before do that
Old 06-30-2004, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

im thinking the 2 installs only share a couple parts that need to be removed, the coils, valve covers, rockers, and pushrods? cant think of anything else from the head swap that would have to be removed again.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:32 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hourang
an hour to remove radiator, waterpump, pulley, timing cover, chain, oil pump, cam, unbolt pan, install pump, oring, chain, line it all up, new front seal, then put everything back together, id like to see someone who hasnt done this before do that
your only assuming he's doing a pump and chain. if not then the radiator, pulley, waterpump, timing cover can be done in an hour. plus with the heads already off he can pull the lifters and make the cam swap that much easier.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jrp
your only assuming he's doing a pump and chain. if not then the radiator, pulley, waterpump, timing cover can be done in an hour. plus with the heads already off he can pull the lifters and make the cam swap that much easier.
damnit jrp you always one step ahead of what i was gonna say lol
Old 07-01-2004, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrp
true that would be hella easy then, but with 57k miles im pretty sure i should change them right?
Old 07-01-2004, 11:52 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

true that would be hella easy then, but with 57k miles im pretty sure i should change them right?
I didnt...i bought my heads for 995, cam for $300esk, PR's & gasket kit and did it that way...in all honesty the cam portion of it took about 2hrs more worth of work...the head part is the most difficult of it in reality and while you have the heads off you can take out the lifters giving you one less thing to worry about when you DO want to do that cam swap later.

lata
Bill
Old 07-01-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ideally, the heads should be chosen first and the flow bench work should be done with the intake and exhaust pipe in place to determine the best suited cam for those heads/intake/exhaust.

As long as you know what heads you are getting, you can select a cam that will perform well with them, so order of installation doesn't really matter. It is easier to do the heads while your doing the cam though, cuz then you don't have to swap valvesprings and all the accessories are already removed.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
Ideally, the heads should be chosen first and the flow bench work should be done with the intake and exhaust pipe in place to determine the best suited cam for those heads/intake/exhaust.

As long as you know what heads you are getting, you can select a cam that will perform well with them, so order of installation doesn't really matter. It is easier to do the heads while your doing the cam though, cuz then you don't have to swap valvesprings and all the accessories are already removed.
yeah i know that, i would not even waste my time doing the cam first, part of the reason why i figure ill just get heads instead of cam only like i originally planned. so now what i need to find out is should i do chain and pump on a car with 57k miles? i drive hard, real hard.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

yeah i know that, i would not even waste my time doing the cam first, part of the reason why i figure ill just get heads instead of cam only like i originally planned. so now what i need to find out is should i do chain and pump on a car with 57k miles? i drive hard, real hard.
If you have the couple extra hundred bucks & extra time to fiddle with it then yah id say so...i had 68k on mine when i did my head/cam swap on my 98...after spending $1500 on my heads/cam pkg i didnt have the extra couple hundred dollars knowing id need $500+ for a tune within the following weeks so thats why i did it that way...$2k is a big chunk of money out of my pocket one way or the other more then i could afford. FWIW im still paying for it on my CC lol
Old 07-01-2004, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

It sounds like you have already convinced yourself that you are going to do the heads first. But I am gona try to help convice you that waiting untill you have the cam and the money for a tune will save you alot of effort in the long run. It will even save you a little cash for fluids so that you do not have to drain your collant system twice. It was mentioned earlier about being able to pull the lifters and make the cam swap that much easier. If you are going to put new lifters in then that will run you another 200 bucks. You can only change out the lifters by removing the heads. This is not a SBC you cannot just pull the intake for a lifter swap.

Just my$.02

Brad
Old 07-01-2004, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by foff667
If you have the couple extra hundred bucks & extra time to fiddle with it then yah id say so...i had 68k on mine when i did my head/cam swap on my 98...after spending $1500 on my heads/cam pkg i didnt have the extra couple hundred dollars knowing id need $500+ for a tune within the following weeks so thats why i did it that way...$2k is a big chunk of money out of my pocket one way or the other more then i could afford. FWIW im still paying for it on my CC lol
how long have you been driving your car since the heads/cam? i have great oil pressure in my car, havent noticed it burning any oil yet, seems to run strong, i think i should be fine without replacing those things but i dont want to tear it apart later to replace those items again.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SquintzPallatore
It sounds like you have already convinced yourself that you are going to do the heads first. But I am gona try to help convice you that waiting untill you have the cam and the money for a tune will save you alot of effort in the long run. It will even save you a little cash for fluids so that you do not have to drain your collant system twice. It was mentioned earlier about being able to pull the lifters and make the cam swap that much easier. If you are going to put new lifters in then that will run you another 200 bucks. You can only change out the lifters by removing the heads. This is not a SBC you cannot just pull the intake for a lifter swap.

Just my$.02

Brad
yeah i kinda usually know what i want to do with things and if people can convince me otherwise im happy. just didnt know if i would run into problems by doing it this way. would i need a tune after heads?? if i do then i would most definately wait for cam cuz i aint doing a $500 tune twice. im wondering if i would gain anything by having just heads and stronger springs, maybe like 10hp? lol i know the stock heads flow well.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry for all the questions, sometimes a talk a lot, hehe. the way it seems ill probably be the first guy to do something like this. need to get some baseline numbers to see if it does anything, lol.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:47 PM
FormerVendor

You should do another timing chain, it will have some slack in it.