Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I chasis dyno a brand new motor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I chasis dyno a brand new motor?

I do not mean to sound like a dumbass but I just had a brand new 347 built all new forged pistons, rods, magnafluxed crank, new heads, cam. Also had a new 3.73 differential and 3800 torque converter put in. Waiting on valve covers but will have it in and 4 heat cycles in by tuesday.

My question to you guys is I have a dynotune scheduled the very next day and will this be safe for the new motor. I know that alot of people say to break in a motor around 500 miles before everything settles and you can give it hell. Is this right? Should I dyno this car?

I have to at least flash the computer because of the new manifold, speedo calibration, and stupid big cam. I just wanted to know if it would be safe to have a full dyno tune for the motors first miles on it. Guess I am just getting a little anxious/worried that something might go wrong since everything has gone right so far.

Looking for some feedback on this.

Thanks Guys

Michael
Old 07-01-2004, 09:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it gets done all the time, but its deff not the best way to break in a new motor. if i just put all that money in a motor, a proper breakin would be #1 on my list. 500miles is a bit much though, just dont run synthetic during breakin.

edit: just saw you were running juice, dont shoot juice without a proper breakin, i have to many storries about the results of that.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brand new 396 got almost 20 pulls or more on the dyno before I even drove it on the road or track ONCE. It will be fine.