Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tink tink tink

Old 07-01-2004, 10:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default What is this 'tink tink tink' engine noise?

I started the car after work and the first thing I noticed was a much louder 'tink-tink-tink' noise coming from the driver side wheelwell. No noise like that whatsoever on the passenger side. The noise is at regular intervals, about 5-6 per second.

This used, built LS1 engine with 3K miles on it was shipped to me and I've been driving it since Easter weekend. The previous owner stated there was nothing wrong with the block and that he was selling because he bought a stroker. Other than being noisier than my previous block (I presume as a result of the forged pistons, rods, and higher duration & lift cam) it has been reliable.

I think I can hear some fluttering around the bottom of the engine, and I think I hear some sort of air leak around the engine (like blowing over the top of an open glass bottle). Or perhaps I'm just getting old and imaging things.

What's my checklist?

Last edited by JimMueller; 07-02-2004 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

I put the scanner on it and I don't have any stored codes nor any misfires. It does seem like my gas mileage has been pretty bad the last tank. I filled up the tank a day or so ago. My trip odometer reads about 28 miles, and the guage is well on it's way to the 3/4 full mark.

I filled up at the E mark this past time and had 170 miles on the tank instead of the normal 200'ish. I wasn't particularly beating on it that tank either.

I checked the oil level in my employers parking lot and the level was full. So was the coolant overflow tank. It seemed like the exhaust was pushing out a grayish color exhaust longer than I'm accustomed. But it was real muggy...foggy in some parts when driving home. Maybe the weather conditions just made it look worse.

I don't have a garage, so lack of light makes it difficult to tear into things at night, even with a handheld spotlight.

I guess I'm going to get some sleep and hopefully someone will have some suggestions by the time I leave for work (8:30) tomorrow. Can I drive it?
Old 07-01-2004, 11:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple things. How old are your cats? They might be clogged. Even though there are no codes thrown your o2 sensors might be going bad causing the car to run rich. Other than that I cant think of anything. If you are driving it a short distance I think it would be ok, but don't let it drag out too long.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:14 AM
TECH Junkie

OK, so I didn't make it to sleep yet...

The Carsound cats are probably going on three years old. They either went in during December of 2000 or 2001. Work is 6 miles away, but it takes me 20 minutes to get there. I have replaced O2's since then, but it's probably been at least two years.

The dealer is about 3 miles from work. I can check to see if they have the O2's in stock and pick a pair up over lunch.

Anyone else? Now I'm really leaving
Old 07-02-2004, 03:52 AM
12 Second Club

If you could, schedule it to go into a shop over lunch, and get it looked at. That is very strange that it no codes are thrown and it still runs like sh$t. Let me know how it turns out.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:29 AM
TECH Junkie

I now have an LS1 shop practically across from the dealership I mentioned earlier. But they are in the process of moving. I'll see if I can visit them today. I guess if not, I can try another local shop where I could definitely put it on a lift.

Last edited by JimMueller; 07-02-2004 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

With the tink, tink, tink sound - you think it could be a lifter? When mine first went - I didnt get any codes ..................

Do you have LS1EDIT? If so, did you edit out the misfire codes cause of a bigger cam? We think that is the reason I didnt get a flashing SES light when my lifter seized.

Tink, tink, tink is a good way to describe the sound it made. Dont recall how gas mileage was effected.

Ever looked to make sure all your plug wires are attached tight or even if your missing a plug somewhere in the back? I know it would cause a misfired but again, that could be hidden with EDIT i would assume (???). I remember one time cranking over the motor while #8 was dangling - madea nice hiss/tick sound.

If none of those pan out - maybe a pushod/rocker?

Search this Thread