Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened to the G5 thread???

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What happened to the G5 thread???

After looking a more than a few dyno graphs on this site, I decided that the G5X3 was "too hot" for my application.

Is it against the "new board rules" to discuss cam specs?
Old 07-01-2004, 10:14 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its been well documented that Lou prefers not to have his specs (or alleged specs) posted.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

LG's cam is what it is. If the specs are "top secret" so should the dyno graphs be. Maybe even threads about the cam.

How are supposed pick to a cam size if we can't see what the #'s are that are "too big" and "too small"? If his cam was what I needed, wouldn't I just buy one? Be awful simple.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:40 PM
Teching In

I'm glad I saw it when I did, I didn't know it was that top secret
Old 07-01-2004, 11:45 PM

Is it a crime that a vendor doesnt want to make public knowledge of the cam specs? It takes alot of money trying different duration, lifts, LSA, and advance to make one work. They learned a lesson after the X2 cam when other shops were cloning that cam and selling it as their own. Not fair for LG.

If you need any info on the LG cams, Im sure Lou or Louis would be glad to help out.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

it is lou's wishes to dispense his own knowledge about the cam. I am sure he will let out some info on it for when the time is needed about it. How about you look over there ---> and give Lou a call and find out.

even louis can help you get this solved
Old 07-01-2004, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Can't argue with that
Old 07-02-2004, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jpz06
Can't argue with that
Oh yes I can!

How many "clones" of the G5Xx cams are on the market? Uhh...

OPPSS!!! None that I've seen, nor would I want a clone of a cam that spins too high anyways (for a stock bottom using M12 spacing).

Tell me... I want the most area under the curve for 4500-7000. Not 4400-6900, or 4600-7100. Nobody knows. So you look at specs for cams that spin too fast, and too slow, and aim in the middle.

Maybe all cams should be "top secret" and then just post "peak HP" number. Next year, everyone will be running 252/260 106 LSA .750 cams, and we will ALL win, eh hoser?
Old 07-02-2004, 01:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Country Boy
They learned a lesson after the X2 cam when other shops were cloning that cam and selling it as their own. Not fair for LG.
If a shop really wanted to clone a cam, couldn't they just buy that cam from the vender they're trying to copy and simply cam doctor it to find out the specs?

I guess my point is that if a shop wants to get the specs of a cam in order to try to clone it, it ain't too hard to do, even if you don't let people talk about the specs on a message board...
Old 07-02-2004, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by McRat
Oh yes I can!

How many "clones" of the G5Xx cams are on the market? Uhh...

OPPSS!!! None that I've seen, nor would I want a clone of a cam that spins too high anyways (for a stock bottom using M12 spacing).

Tell me... I want the most area under the curve for 4500-7000. Not 4400-6900, or 4600-7100. Nobody knows. So you look at specs for cams that spin too fast, and too slow, and aim in the middle.

Maybe all cams should be "top secret" and then just post "peak HP" number. Next year, everyone will be running 252/260 106 LSA .750 cams, and we will ALL win, eh hoser?
*sigh* back to the name calling thing....

There was a shop that was selling clones of the G5X2 cam. I dont remember the shops name, but I remember reading it here. They also bragged about they had the X3 specs also. Is it killing you that bad that the specs arent public? Does it make you feel special when you know the specs? Give it up already, its not this is something new.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

I didn't move the thread...
Old 07-02-2004, 08:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
If a shop really wanted to clone a cam, couldn't they just buy that cam from the vender they're trying to copy and simply cam doctor it to find out the specs?

I guess my point is that if a shop wants to get the specs of a cam in order to try to clone it, it ain't too hard to do, even if you don't let people talk about the specs on a message board...
Thats true, if a "shop" or any person for that matter really wanted it they could just buy the cam, use a cam doctor on it, and start selling it as their cam. So is LG going to start screening their customers who buy the cam to find out if they are on message boards, or if they have friends at all?
Old 07-02-2004, 08:34 AM

Ok, look lets get right down to the heart of it.

LG doesn't post his specs publically. Thats a fact we all know.

LG will provide specs once you purchase a cam if you ask for them.

The X2 and X3 specs were know by certain shops a week after the cams were out as some of the first cams were shipped, but those shops have enough class not to go publically posting those specs. In this case, the specs were posted by "someone" under "extra" user name he created to make that post. I know plenty of cam specs for other shops cams. It doens't mean that I go post them publically.

As for who clones LG cams. Look at TEA. They publically came out in their sig and stated they were running an LG clone.

Look at it this way if you want a lobe Catalog, call Comp and order one. Then you can order all the "custom" grinds you want. You can install them, test them, and tune them. Once you've done all that. Then provide the specs of your cam free of charge to all of us to duplicate.

Most shops I know of don't consider that a profitable way to do business.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by ICONZ28
They wont help you on the cam. I got turned away when i called there the other day. I wont discuss what happened but let just say i wasnt very happy.

So, thats the reason why you posted Lou's specs under and assumed name?
Old 07-02-2004, 08:49 AM

Dude a cam is a cam. Its all about being greedy and money. MONEY! thats what were talking about here. Its all about the money. So what if you get it cloned. Would it be such a horrible thing if i wanted to save a little cash. What if i didnt like my stock cam and got that cloned? Would anyone give a ****! NO! So for all you greedy people out there, lifes to short to worry about your extra 150$ your going to make on your cam.

So, if you as a shop owner develop a product and put it out for sale. You do the R&D, etc... is your time and effort and R&D worth anything?

You already said it. You bought the LGM cam. Why did you buy it then? If you wanted to save money, why didn't you go direct to comp and just pick out your own lobes? Why order the LG cam and then be mad that you had to pay a bit more for Lou's R&D. Thats not greed, thats called running a shop. How about you start selling everything at cost?
Old 07-02-2004, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

It has NOTHING to do with duration, it has to do with what is "acceptable" content in a Tech Board.

I was told I was unwelcome here and to shut up.

Lou's a good guy, and a hell of a racer, but he should NOT dictate what can be discussed.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Guys you wont be seeing me post anymore this website makes up there own rules to much. And by the way I DONT OWN A SHOP. I just bring it there. BYE!

OMG dont go, we need you
Old 07-02-2004, 10:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The man that got turned away with no specs said he needed them for his "Tuner"

If the tuner cannot go off of ballpark specs, then a new tuner needs to be found. X2 specs were given, because if you think that in your tune you can magically make it idle with specs before the car starts up then maybe you dont need the Cam.

The X3 idles cleaner than the X2. Make it idle for the X2, and the tune will be wonderful for the X3.

As far as what we dictate what we want posted? I cannot tell you the last time I ASKED a moderator or admin to delete a thread that contained cam specs.

I dont think that making a 150$ is highway robbery. Maybe you should ask yourself " If I am penny pinching for 50$, should I really have an LS1 car, and modding it?"
Old 07-02-2004, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Opinions are like ********, everyone has one. If a vendor wants to hide cam specs from people, I guess it's their prerogative to do so, even though I personally don't agree.

My opinion is that I know most every reputable tuner probably ALREADY has the specs for these secret cams, so the only people you are hiding the specs from are just car hobbyists like myself trying to find out what will work for them when checking for P/V clearance, powerbands etc. It's kind of annoying to have to pay for a long distance phone call just to get any information about a product.

One thing I don't think some shop people are taking into account here is that people that will make a clone of your product most likely never would have been your customer anyway. If you think that since they can't copy it, they would just buy it from you..... I think you are wrong. Those are the people who want something cheap, and if they can't get your product cheap or easy, they will just get something else.

I dunno. I don't see Thunder hiding specs on their T-Rex...... I don't see tons of T-Rex clones floating around either (atleast on the boards).... Just expressing a personal opinion, I don't want to get into a pissing match or get anyone upset.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:51 PM
it is on low boost

Originally Posted by Louis
The man that got turned away with no specs said he needed them for his "Tuner"

If the tuner cannot go off of ballpark specs, then a new tuner needs to be found. X2 specs were given, because if you think that in your tune you can magically make it idle with specs before the car starts up then maybe you dont need the Cam.

The X3 idles cleaner than the X2. Make it idle for the X2, and the tune will be wonderful for the X3.

As far as what we dictate what we want posted? I cannot tell you the last time I ASKED a moderator or admin to delete a thread that contained cam specs.

I dont think that making a 150$ is highway robbery. Maybe you should ask yourself " If I am penny pinching for 50$, should I really have an LS1 car, and modding it?"
Ok...this is the situation. Our customer, ICONZ28 wanted to purchase heads with this cam that he ordered from LG. In order for us to port a set of heads that would compliment the G5X3 cam, we needed SPECS. NOT BALLPARK SPECS.

ICONZ28 called LG and personell at LG told him "if you need specs for a cam to port heads, your tuners don't know what they are doing." If this statement makes any sense to any of you guys, I personally feel that you need to do more research about building engines and making peak HP. We were surprised that LG would think like this. Yes, the cam was doctored at the customer's request. We do have the specs but you will NOT see IconAutoSports releasing them. We did not do the R&D on it and it is not fair to LG if we did release them to the public. ICONZ28 merely bought the cam and was frustrated with the response he got when he asked for the specs.

BALLPARK specs can cost a shop thousands of dollars at a time, ruin reputations, and we do not operate that way at IconAutoSports. As far as PENNY PINCHING...most of you guys love to save an extra dollar every now and then and there is nothing wrong with that. Shops are in business to make MONEY and there is nothing wrong with that either.

Bottom line is that the heads are on the way and everybody is happy on this end. We will be posting dyno numbers when it is done but we will NOT be posting FLOW numbers!