Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what could be wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what could be wrong?

with my car? It just started yesterday. I mainly notice it when I get on it from a 2nd gear rolling start after I shift to third it seems like my car's power just falls off or flattens out. I'm thinking it has to be my valve springs are wearing out or my clutch is starting to slip. I'm running the Crane duals and they have about 10k miles on them(7k from TR224, 3k from FM13). Still on stock clutch@ 22k miles. Any ideas?
Old 07-07-2004, 05:33 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JDPZ28
with my car? It just started yesterday. I mainly notice it when I get on it from a 2nd gear rolling start after I shift to third it seems like my car's power just falls off or flattens out. I'm thinking it has to be my valve springs are wearing out or my clutch is starting to slip. I'm running the Crane duals and they have about 10k miles on them(7k from TR224, 3k from FM13). Still on stock clutch@ 22k miles. Any ideas?
Does JDP stand for Jim Dehart Performance?
Old 07-07-2004, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GrimReaper
Does JDP stand for Jim Dehart Performance?
No, actually those are my initials.
Jonathon David Prance
Old 07-08-2004, 05:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

From what I've heard about those Crane duels, I thought they were just about bullet proof. Do you really think they could be doing after only 10k? Especially if 7 were on a TR224? I'm not expert by any means (my 1st cam is still in the works), but it was a thought.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know the symptoms of a slipping clutch? From your description it doesn't sound like a clutch problem. If this problem came up over nite it's unlikely the springs are to blame unless you had a spring failure which wouldn't just effect 2nd gear performance. Do you have an SES? Check for DTCs. Use AutoTap to view you engines performance on-line.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Do you know the symptoms of a slipping clutch? From your description it doesn't sound like a clutch problem. If this problem came up over nite it's unlikely the springs are to blame unless you had a spring failure which wouldn't just effect 2nd gear performance. Do you have an SES? Check for DTCs. Use AutoTap to view you engines performance on-line.
I agree it doesn't sound like a clutch problem. It didn't just come up overnight though. I noticed it when I was almost home after a 1k+ mile trip.no SES light. It seems like the engine just starts to stumble and fall flat on it's face after it gets into the upper rpm's. I pulled the vavle covers and none of the springs are broken. I ordered a set of PP duals yesterday so I will see soon if they cure the problem.
Anyone care to test the seat pressure on the Crane's when I get them out?