Sponsored by:

Water Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Damage?

I hope this is in the right spot.

Anyway, I was wondering what kind of damage water getting in an engine can do.

My car feels alot more sluggish. I mean this thing has no kick at all untill like 3500 rpm. I was thinking that it could be either the humidity or the gas i put in (Which it seems that i always have a problem when i put Sunoco Ultra). So when i get home today im gonna reset the pcm and hope that helps. Then i rememberd the monsoon i drove thru on sunday and this HUGE puddle of water ended up throwing water onto my hood and most deffinately in the scoop. There was no missing or any funny noises but i figured ask anyway.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

I'm not real sure what damage could have happened except that the plugs could be fouled...
Old 07-07-2004, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Pull your plugs and check them, change the oil and filter and look for water, try some different gas next time, maybe with some injection cleaner...
Old 07-07-2004, 04:34 PM
TECH Veteran

My car (SS Camaro) runs like crap in a really heavy rain storm...I think rain gets into the intake through the ram air hood...

It takes a couple of days of dry weather before it returns to normal....I suppose the MAF wire is getting soaked along with the tips of any other electronic sensors in intake path...

I would not drive your car until you change out ALL fluids - including engine oil, tranny fluid or wet clutch slave, rear end, brake fluid, radiator, power steering, etc....

H2o can do a lot of damage in a hurry.....
Old 07-07-2004, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

Well it wasnt that it was a deep puddle, just when my tires hit it it managed to spash up on the hood and im not sure if it went in at all. The car is not missing just doesnt seem all that powerfull right now and doesnt seem to be reving as quickly as it should
Old 07-08-2004, 05:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

A few weeks ago I started noticing my car doing the same thing you're discribing.... just not quite all there. Well, all sorts of things turned out to be wrong w/ the engine, but 2 of them are things that have already been mentiond here, so I'd start there first. First, one of my plugs was screwed. Not just a little, we're talking non functional. And second, I had water in my oil. Mine was due to head gasket, but the feeling was the same you discribe. GL on your ride. Hopefully you get it worked out fast and cheep.