Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 Hot Cam

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 Hot Cam

Ok lets see i am new to the cam thing and have asked for opinions in the past but my problem is warranty my car still has about 50k left on the extended warranty but as long as i use gm parts its covered so i am thinking about going with the LS1 Hot Cam and I think they say you need LS6 springs? How does this sound on a pretty much stock LS1 will it give me a good beef up in power but keep the idle and drivability close to normal nothing crazy? Only mods done are Slp Lid, Loud Mouth, Jet Jot Coated Headers & Y , Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Compu Car NOS bag kit.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:06 AM
Banned

putting in anything other then factory cam will void a powertrain warranty, how do you warrant a broken valve spring with a hot cam? read hot cam is for off road use only, as is any other hipo cam for that matter, does anybody on this forum care no.

If you spin a rod bearing per say and need a warranty short block, the mechanic may not care if it has a loppey cam and visually is unrecognizable. But the mechanic is going to find anyway to make it customer pay, and extended warranty companys ask over the phone before a claim if the vehicle has been modified.

Still the extended warranty would be good for other things like AC not working, electrical problems (if covered) and other suspension related problems.

So with that in mind screw the hot cam and go to one of these guys----->
Old 07-10-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

as long as it is installed at a dealership by a tech it is covered under gm warranty. it doesn't have to be made by gm u could put in any cam u want. what warranty do u have gmpp?
Old 07-10-2004, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

I asked a dealer about having one installed. They said they would need to remove the engine and it would cost $1600+ (they could not tell me for sure until they started work on it, so you know what that means...much more than $1600), and I still need to pay for parts on top of that ($485 for the cam, +gaskets, etc). I said F that. I did it myself and with the extra money I bought shorty headers, subframes, underdrive pulleys, belts, gaskets, and tons of other stuff and still never spent that much and installed it all myself. Th hotcam comes with the springs and upgraded valve seats. It DOES NOT come with new valve stem seals (not very expensive), which you WILL need to change if you change the seats. I decided not to change the seats, however if I had them available (had I known) when I bought the kit, I would have done it. The only problems I had was having to run to the store for 16 pen magnets, and I think I fried an O2 sensor because it was loose. Relatively little problems considering what came out from under the engine bay though...

And the dealership said they would NOT warranty GM Performance Parts, even if they installed them.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

we had guys pulling their nos kits off in the parking lot to bring their cars in for warranty work. one i remember in particular had a burn up piston! depends on the dealership, and most importantly, how cool the tech is.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't get a cam installed by anyone who thinks that the engine needs to be removed to install a cam. There are people on this board who can do it in under 6 hours. The engine stays in the car!
Old 07-11-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

thats how gm says it should be done. i've never done it this way, and the tech i worked with wouldn't do it this way.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kickassT/A
thats how gm says it should be done. i've never done it this way, and the tech i worked with wouldn't do it this way.

exactly thats what we get payed to do pull it out and put the cam in, but we do things alot differently then we say we will do.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fast98
exactly thats what we get payed to do pull it out and put the cam in, but we do things alot differently then we say we will do.
Now that I believe. Charge you for removing the engine and then use the official GM pen-magnets to hold the lifters up while then engine stays in the car.

Quick Reply: Ls1 Hot Cam