Sponsored by:

I need help save me from headswap hell

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 02:04 PM
Eye
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help save me from headswap hell

I have lurked on this forum for several years so i know i will get some good advice. I recently added a set of Patriot stage 2 5.3's. I added to it a mill of 30 thou and teckline coatings on the chamber intake and exaust. On start up it ran good. I ment to add booster to it but lost my mind and did a couple of wot passes on 91 gas. The car ran good but hit the rev limiter.It would not shift fast enough into the next gear at wot.Then boom the gasket let go.

Well i milled the heads again 7 thou to clean them up. Reasembled the motor double checked everything. On start up after 2 min of ideling coolant is comeing out of the passenger side again.

My question is this Do i need to pull the motor ? I have read that a blown gasket often warps the block too? Can i reuse any gaskets? I have one set with 50 miles on them and another with 2 minutes.

Is retorquing the heads a option?

I used arp headbolts moly lube (Not the bolts that were too long. I measured them they are shorter than stock) I used 99 gaskets on the heads.
My cc volume was 59.8 before i took another 7 thou off. I took the coating off the fire deck and valve faces. So i figure im close to 59.8 cc right now
All threads were chased.

What do i do next?

My mods are a 3500 tcissf ,patriot 5.3 stage 2 heads arp headbolts.
Mti stealth 2 cam, edelbrock steped headers sitting in my closet.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:30 PM
11 Second Club

I had a local guy with almost the same problem as you. He brought the car to me and I discovered that some of the bottom bolts were torqued to spec... but there was coolant still left in the holes, so even though they were torqued correctly, they were torqued with coolant under them. I cleaned the holes out COMPLETELY and made damn sure they were dry and reinstalled the heads, solved all his problems. I run ARP studs on my car and I love them, but I've heard of problems with people using the bolts.. most of the time it's not the bolts fault, but install error. When I do an install I recommend the factory TTY bolts, never had a problem with them.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:13 PM
Eye
Teching In

After a afternoon of contimplateing the thousands of dollars i was going to have to spend i took a look at the hoses. Suprise i had undone the hose thats near passenger head puting on the last spark plug boot.

The car runs good now no leaks. I did have a problem with the pvc gasket geting half sucked into the manifold. Thats the third time its happened. I man handled the hose and now it seals.

I do have a problem it seems . Something is sounding very bus like at slow speed. Like 3 or 4 mph.
Im wondering if i might have hurt the trans when it would not upshft at wot.
Could it be the power steering it seems to change sounds as i turn the wheel.Maybe its the rear end? It does sound like a whining rear end.Hmm?

The car has sat the last 8 months except for 2 days. Any ideas whats up?