Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crank pulley on for engine removal

Old 07-11-2004, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default can i leave crank pulley on for engine removal??

heeeelloo, i have a quick question, i am going to pull my motor here in about 4 hours (wiating on my friend to get off work) ive got all electronics disconnected and have the water pump,ac compressor,intake etc..off.Took the rad out and left the ac core..my question has anybody pulled the motor with the trans attached with the crank pulley still on out the top? i searched and really didnt get a definate answer..i know i know..just take the damn thing off but i have a assload of anitfreeze/tranny fluid under my car and the floor dry is soppin it up as i type, just would like to avoid going under the car again as the motor,tranny is ready to come out!!!! Where do you guys usually hook your chains? the only spot i can see is maybee on the passanger side i can use the last head bolt that is threaded into the block,and on the driver side, thread the pwr steering bolt back into the head.. i would like to get the chain on the back of the head on the passanger side but have no room to get a bolt to thread in due to the firewall..tips?
thanks matt

obtw..Where in the Hell do you guys find the tailshaft plugs for your tranny's at? The ones you stick in your tailshaft when your dropping your tranny to aviod a mess..I have looked everywhere locally..i guess ill have to order one.

Last edited by redbandit98; 07-11-2004 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone,anyone,,bueller?
Old 07-11-2004, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dount you will be able to get the engine out of the with the tranny attached.. i just dont see how thats possiable, i got my tranny plug from replacing trannys, the new trannys come with them in the tailshaft.. i have about 30 of em..

Good luck
Old 07-11-2004, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd drain the tranny oil and just replace it later...make a mess in other words
I'm pretty sure if you get the engine/trans at a crazy angle w/ the hood off, you can get both out.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

yep, just did it took hood off and left tranny attatched left crank pulley on. Had to move the motor at a MAD angle to get it out,but all in all it wasnt bad at all,came right out. took the valley cover off and HOLY SHEET this is the dirtiest motor i have EVER taken apart, havent got the oil pan or anything off yet to see what bearing spun,but the valley was just nasty with caked up build up ..oh well a fresh one will go in.
wanna send me one of those plugs.??
Old 07-12-2004, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure ill send you a few of em.. pm yer addy etc..

Search this Thread