Sponsored by:

Pen Magnet & Lifter OOpsy

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 04:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pen Magnet & Lifter OOpsy

2nd cam install

stick the JPR rods in, out of curiosity I push down on the push rods to find that the lifters actually still slide down. In fact, one slid down enough to block the cam from being install. Went to pull up on the lifter with a pen magnet... it becomes stuck... my dad decides to use a pair of pliers on the magnet shaft and yank. This is where a few more neurons shoudlve been firing as the magnet head of course comes off, along with the accompanying magnet shield... no luck with fishing. Grit my teeth, curse and kick some misc things... and pull the passenger head off. The shield and magnet were laying comfortably inside the top of the lifter. I have to use needle nose pliers to pull the magnet off the top of the lifter... it was not only magnetized but also lodged in sideways.
I knew I'd take the heads off sooner or later... but I assumed I'd get to put a better one back on.

My take on pen magnets: use carefully if at all. Avoid usage if possible. Don't yank on them when lodged. They are unfortunately made in a foreign country and cannot hold up to such forces.

My first cam install was beautifully performed with no bumps in the road. During this install I have also broken the oil pressure sending unit, an idler pulley, and most of the fuel injector wiring harness connectors. Nothing devastating but PITA.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did a cam swap and used 5/16 wooden dowls and it was a nice and tight fit with no problems..... the cam sprocket on the other hand.....

Quick Reply: Pen Magnet & Lifter OOpsy