Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shimming Valve springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shimming Valve springs

Can you shim the stock LS1 Valve springs. What I am doing is changin my valve springs tomorrow and I was wondering if I could shim the new springs to make up for the wear that has taking place from my valves coming up and hitting the head when opening and closing so I can get it close to brand new as possible.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by saclay
Can you shim the stock LS1 Valve springs. What I am doing is changin my valve springs tomorrow and I was wondering if I could shim the new springs to make up for the wear that has taking place from my valves coming up and hitting the head when opening and closing so I can get it close to brand new as possible.
I am sure you can shim it, but I doubt that would be the proper way to do it. But I am not a machinist either.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Junkie

I don’t follow your reasoning. The only reason the shim the valve springs is to increase the closed and open pressure on them a bit. You have to be careful if your running a cam with high lift as coil bind may be a problem.

What type of springs are you installing? If you’re replacing them because you think that the seats are worn then your wasting your time. The seats are hardened steel and won’t wear much at all.

Old 07-13-2004, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DaleMX
I don’t follow your reasoning. The only reason the shim the valve springs is to increase the closed and open pressure on them a bit. You have to be careful if your running a cam with high lift as coil bind may be a problem.

What type of springs are you installing? If you’re replacing them because you think that the seats are worn then your wasting your time. The seats are hardened steel and won’t wear much at all.

My reasoning was that shims are not for making up for wear, they are for adjusting spring tension. If there is wear that needs "adjustment", then the heads should be machined. I think.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool

If you are worried about the stock springs loosing tension due to high mileage; just replace them with Z06 springs.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Brand new Z06 springs are only about 90 smackers shipped from SDPC.

Quick Reply: Shimming Valve springs