Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine removal

Is there a write up some where on how to take the engine out from the bottom??

I have searched and only found some pictures I looked thru 10 pages of stuff... thanks for the help
Old 07-16-2004, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Do you have a full car lift? If you do taking it out the bottom won't be hard, you have to drop the engine with the kmember and tranny attached.

I have never found a writeup on it but I can't imagine it being that hard, I am taking the engine out the top of my LS1 tomorrow with the kmember still in the car.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you don't have a lift then take it out of the top, it's cake. TIP: Instead of unbolting the passenger side motormount, actually unbolt that perch from the frame and it goes in and out easier.

-Sly
Old 07-16-2004, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

I have done that several times but because my motor mount bolt was in the wrong direction, now i removed my AC stuff I can get the bolt out easy and the only issue I see is its easier to align the motor with the mount going down then trying to drop it into the bracket and putting the bolt through.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Yea I have a Lift I just think it would be easier to do from the bottom I want to change the transmission and do heads and cam or maybee a motor swap . Its a pain in the *** to try to do any work under the cowl id just assume take 3-4 extra hours ( if thats what it takes to take it out and put back ) and just set it on an engine stand and do that
Old 07-17-2004, 12:08 AM
Launching!

I made a write up for this procedure a long time ago. I detailed step by step on taking it out the bottom with a lift, or with a large frame floor jack. PM me an email addy and I'll send you the MS Word file. I'd be happy to email it if you think it would help.

I agree though, taking it out the bottom is really slick, and you don't have to worry about banging it around or breaking anything. The first two times I did a swap, I did this procedure by myself, with no help guiding or aligning the k-memeber as I lowered the car.... try doing it from the top using a cherry picker by yourself. lol
Old 07-17-2004, 12:45 AM
Teching In

Default Engine removal

Hello friend,

Could you please send me the write up that you mention below about removing the engine from the bottom. My email address is dale5050@yahoo.com Thanks again!

Dale

Originally Posted by 1999_SS_M6
I made a write up for this procedure a long time ago. I detailed step by step on taking it out the bottom with a lift, or with a large frame floor jack. PM me an email addy and I'll send you the MS Word file. I'd be happy to email it if you think it would help.

I agree though, taking it out the bottom is really slick, and you don't have to worry about banging it around or breaking anything. The first two times I did a swap, I did this procedure by myself, with no help guiding or aligning the k-memeber as I lowered the car.... try doing it from the top using a cherry picker by yourself. lol
Old 07-17-2004, 06:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Send it to me too please.

habibi6210@yahoo.com
Old 07-17-2004, 06:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Me three, I'm removing mine this fall/winter...

Thanks,

Bill
Old 07-17-2004, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Sure I think it would be of great help please send me a copy
islowcar@aol.com
Old 07-19-2004, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

I just removed mine from the top this weekend, it came out very easy with no hangups.

After we had it down to the timing set and took off the intake and heads it took no time to get it out, tranny bolts are easy to get to and after that it slides off the input shaft and goes straight up.

You will have to take off the hood hydrolics and prop the hood up, and lower the kmember.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club + 14 Second Truck Club

i have taken mine out from the bottom twice and just did one for a friend last weekend out of the bottom. it took us 4 hours from the time we pulled it in the garage to when we pushed it back out with the k member back in place.

out the bottom is the only way to go.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

I would like to see this write up as well pulling mine to put in a new 02 motor.

illidan3399@yahoo.com

Thanks Man
Old 07-19-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by antz01ta
i have taken mine out from the bottom twice and just did one for a friend last weekend out of the bottom. it took us 4 hours from the time we pulled it in the garage to when we pushed it back out with the k member back in place.

out the bottom is the only way to go.

I don't understand how your doing this, you drop it attached to the kmember and without a full car lift, then use something like a motor lift to lift the front of the car high enough to roll the motor out from under the car?

I don't see how you can get the car high enough without a full car lift.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:35 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd like a copy of that procedure as well, I don't plan on doing the job soon, but I'd like to see what's involved. This way when it is time, I can do it myself and just send the motor off to one of the sponsors to work their magic.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:11 PM
10 Second Club + 14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by term
I don't understand how your doing this, you drop it attached to the kmember and without a full car lift, then use something like a motor lift to lift the front of the car high enough to roll the motor out from under the car?

I don't see how you can get the car high enough without a full car lift.

i do have a full car lift.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by antz01ta
i do have a full car lift.

I understand now, the only real con I can see to taking it out the top is you have to disassemble some of the motor (belt accessorys, intake, heads) in order for it to come out real easy, you could probably get away with leaving the heads and intake on the motor and just pull it forward and up pretty easy.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by term
I understand now, the only real con I can see to taking it out the top is you have to disassemble some of the motor (belt accessorys, intake, heads) in order for it to come out real easy, you could probably get away with leaving the heads and intake on the motor and just pull it forward and up pretty easy.
Would you really be able to do that?
Old 07-23-2004, 12:39 AM
Teching In

i took mine out the top by my self and put it back in by my self it wasant to bad you have to exstend the cherry picker
Old 07-23-2004, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cerebrex
Would you really be able to do that?
It would be close, with the kmember down there is a lot more clearance, I would have tried it but I was taking the heads off anyway so I just did it in the car.

Quick Reply: Engine removal