Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil in coolant resevoir

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil in coolant resevoir

I just checked my coolant level and when I pull the dipstick to see how much coolant there was the dipstick was covered with this thick coffee colored oily sludge. I checked my engine oil and trans fluid, both were clean. Anyone have any ideas what would cause that. The bad part is I am just about to sell the car to a buddy and I know he won't want to buy it if he sees that and I don't want to screw him over either if there is something seriously wrong with the motor.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the natural process of DexCool aging.

It's the reason why the coolant should be flushed every 2 to 3 years ...
Old 07-19-2004, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mitchntx
It's the natural process of DexCool aging.

It's the reason why the coolant should be flushed every 2 to 3 years ...
I hope thats all it is. Has anyone else seen anything like that with old coolant
Old 07-19-2004, 08:56 PM
Banned

well, if there is motor oil in your coolant then most likely you have suffered a blown head gasket, i've seen some pretty old nasty dexcool and it's never looked like it was just old. "old" dex cool typically just loses it's color and doesn't get thick. do a coolant flush and suck everything out of the resivoir then see what happens.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LPCWS6
I hope thats all it is. Has anyone else seen anything like that with old coolant
Yes, someone else has.

Read the thread you started in the other section ....
Old 07-20-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

if you have not seen my other reply - yes, I have seen the same. It is not a big deal - supposedly those are anti-corrosion pellets crystallizing. Change coolant if it bothers you.

you might want to post a picture so I can confirm it is the same thing...

Yes, someone else has.

Read the thread you started in the other section ....
Old 07-20-2004, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Default oil in coolant res

The main problem with those motors is that they run a coolant line from the Power steering pump to your upper radiator hose. If you open your power steering res, and it is milky color, that is your problem. If not it could still be your problem because the power steering is like 60psi, and your coolant is only 15psi, that would mean only blowby on the power steering side. If you find thats the prob, flush the coolant, and buy a small cooler, and re route those coolant lines from the power steering.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by james99ws6
The main problem with those motors is that they run a coolant line from the Power steering pump to your upper radiator hose. If you open your power steering res, and it is milky color, that is your problem. If not it could still be your problem because the power steering is like 60psi, and your coolant is only 15psi, that would mean only blowby on the power steering side. If you find thats the prob, flush the coolant, and buy a small cooler, and re route those coolant lines from the power steering.
what would be the "normal" PS fluid color?
Old 07-20-2004, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

James, we've had this conversation before.

Yours was an isolated case ... definitely not the norm. I've had the same in-line cooler on my car for years without a problem as have thousands of other SS and WS6 owners since '98.

Is it a possibility? Certainly. Likely? No.

It's not a coolant line, rather a heat exchanger in-line with the upper radiator hose. The LP side of the hydraulic system is routed to the heat exchanger and then to the PS reservoir.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by longdaddy
if you have not seen my other reply - yes, I have seen the same. It is not a big deal - supposedly those are anti-corrosion pellets crystallizing. Change coolant if it bothers you.

you might want to post a picture so I can confirm it is the same thing...
I took a pic of what I got out of my resevoir but but I don't know how to post it
Old 07-20-2004, 04:28 PM
Launching!

here is a pic....I hope it works

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/417836/2
Old 07-20-2004, 07:23 PM
Launching!

My power steering fluid is pretty low (doesn't even read on the dipstick) but it is clear. The radiator hoses where the heat exchanger is are all oily on the top side and I had a few guys tell my that oil in your cooling system will do that to radiator hoses. The other hoses in my cooling system are either dry or just a little oily. To me it looks like it might be the power steering heat exchanger but considering the heat exchanger is connected to the low presssure side of the power steering pump and my power steering fluid is clear I don't know. Does anyone know what kind of pressure is in the low pressure side of the power steering pump and if there are any seals in the heat exchanger that could possible let a little power steering fluid leak out only when it goes over a certain amount of pressure. Also do you think there is a way to pressure test the heat exchanger if I it took off.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LPCWS6
here is a pic....I hope it works

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/417836/2
nope that's not what i've seen on mine, sorry
Old 07-23-2004, 05:11 PM
Launching!

James, we've had this conversation before.

Yours was an isolated case ... definitely not the norm. I've had the same in-line cooler on my car for years without a problem as have thousands of other SS and WS6 owners since '98.

Is it a possibility? Certainly. Likely? No.

It's not a coolant line, rather a heat exchanger in-line with the upper radiator hose. The LP side of the hydraulic system is routed to the heat exchanger and then to the PS reservoir.
It might not have been likely but that was the problem. I just got done pressure testing it in a bucket of water and I had bubbles coming from inside the heat exchanger. The worst part now is that I have to wait till next week to get one from a dealer.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Curious ...

How often did you change your coolant? Mileage?
Old 07-24-2004, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Curious ...

How often did you change your coolant? Mileage?
I have had the car since 01 and never changed it but I think the dealer did it before I bought it in 01. I took the car to a radiator place the day after I noticed it and they said my coolant looked good besides all the oil in my resevoir.