Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What cam to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What cam to go with?

I'm going to be getting a cam and need to know what is the biggest cam I can go with, without having to change my valvespring every day. I will be getting one of the Thunderracing cam packages. I don't care about streetebiliy, If it drives it's streetable in my book. I just don't want bury myself in the engine bay. I will be going with the comp cams 26921 spring kit. What is the biggest cam I can get and still be cool.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

most of the TR grinds you should change your springs out every 12k miles or so from what i understand one way or the other.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:48 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well seeing as how you only have a handfull of small intake/exhausts bolt ons i'd pass on the cam kit now.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:34 PM

Get headers first.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

I already have 4:10s and an 8.8 rear from extreme chassis that should be shipping soon. Headers will also come. I don't plan on tearing open the engine much. My question was not on what to do first, but what cam to go with to maintain mnimal valtrain maintanance and achive 11s NA. I'm well aware of the benifits an intake and longtubes will give me as well as the order a lot of people choose to mod their cars. I can always slap on a pair of longtubes and change the intake in the future. I would rather do the complicated stuff first.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

dude.. with a rear that you can launch on and some good stick tires, you could get into the 11's with a hotcam with a good tune..
Old 07-25-2004, 08:45 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ricekillman
I already have 4:10s and an 8.8 rear from extreme chassis that should be shipping soon. Headers will also come. I don't plan on tearing open the engine much. My question was not on what to do first, but what cam to go with to maintain mnimal valtrain maintanance and achive 11s NA. I'm well aware of the benifits an intake and longtubes will give me as well as the order a lot of people choose to mod their cars. I can always slap on a pair of longtubes and change the intake in the future. I would rather do the complicated stuff first.
well your going about it *** backwards. whats the point of throwing in a cam if it cant breath . just do the searches for people who did cam before headers/intake. you'll find the results less then steller. but hey, its your car . also are you planning to pass emissions?

also, with the comp 921's all but the most agressive cams will have minimum spring maintanance. but your best bet is to test the spring pressure before installation, and then periodically to see what the seat/open pressure is. there is no set spring maintance schedule as everyone drives there car differently.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrp
well your going about it *** backwards. whats the point of throwing in a cam if it cant breath . just do the searches for people who did cam before headers/intake. you'll find the results less then steller. but hey, its your car .

You need LT's first, then ditch that blowmaster and get something that actually flows. You'll also want to look into a TB and LS6/LSX intake. Cams need to breathe. As far as the springs go, I'd go with the Patriot Gold's. That's what I'm getting.

As far as size, a G5X3 is a decent size for a daily driver. Or if you really want to go nuts get the T-Rex. That bitch is HUGE.