Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Install??

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cam Install??

Is it worth it to do a cam install yourself, or pay to have somebody do it. And if I were to have somebody do it which shop does it for a fair price but does a good job. I have heard rpm does a great job. And what size should I go with a m6 with full bolt ons, and already put 350 hp to the ground. I would like to achieve 400hp what size cam would this take. Also would the f1 be enough to achieve this goal.

Thanks, Steve
Old 07-30-2004, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pir7tr
Is it worth it to do a cam install yourself, or pay to have somebody do it. And if I were to have somebody do it which shop does it for a fair price but does a good job. I have heard rpm does a great job. And what size should I go with a m6 with full bolt ons, and already put 350 hp to the ground. I would like to achieve 400hp what size cam would this take. Also would the f1 be enough to achieve this goal.

Thanks, Steve
I won't comment on what type of cam, because that could quickly become a big argument. If you are able to install the cam yourself, you should do it. It leaves you more money for other mods, and you can guarantee that somebody who actually gives a crap about your car is doing the work. I have heard too many horror stories about shops, and rebuilt heads, and rebuilt transmissions, that I never want to take my car to a shop again unless I absolutely can't do it myself.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im doing my cam install myself. it will definitely save you some $$$. just do some research and you can find what you are looking for in a cam. good luck!
Old 07-31-2004, 12:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Iam pretty sure my dad and I and a couple of friends can just depends also how long it will take.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you havent already look at ls1howto.com and it has a detailed write up on the install. im planning on taking a weekend to do it, i move really slow. post up once you get it in
Old 07-31-2004, 12:48 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you can turn a wrench, have basic reading and comprehension, have tools, and a weekend then you owe it to yourself to use JMX's guide.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

You think I should go with a bigger cam?
Old 07-31-2004, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pir7tr
Iam pretty sure my dad and I and a couple of friends can just depends also how long it will take.
Make sure you can trust who is helping you. If you are able to yell at them without getting in trouble, that helps too. I'll be damned if I would let my dad help me with a cam install. That thing would be so F'ed up, plus I wouldn't be able to yell at him. Sucks.