Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will GM quit building the LS1 engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Will GM quit building the LS1 engine

Anybody have a inside information source at GM if they will stop manufacturing the LS1 and LS6 engines when the new LS2 goes into production? I know the GTO and corvettes will have the LS2 but what about their trucks will they have the LS1 or go with the LS2.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LS1 5.7 "car" motor looks to be on it's way out. As of next year, everything I know off that uses it will have the LS2.

The LS2 is basically a 6.0 version of the LS1.. so techincally only the name is going away
Old 08-02-2004, 08:35 AM
11 Second Club

i never thought i would cry when they stopped makin a motor lol
Old 08-02-2004, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 68bird
i never thought i would cry when they stopped makin a motor lol
(Marine Corp band playing TAPS in backround) Me either. But what better motor to replace it with? Just think 2 yrs from now what will be happening when the aftermarket catches up. 600 rwhp 6.0L all motor Vettes, Fbodies and GTOs rolling around.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

The LS1, although powerful, has given many of us typical GM-related headaches. I'd like one quality 6.0 liter DOHC variable valve-timed engine to go please!
Old 08-02-2004, 08:00 PM
Teching In

did they stop making the lt1?
Old 08-02-2004, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they stopped putting the lt1 in vehicles by the mid nineties as far as I know.

DOHC would be cool - but think about how much a cam swap would cost
-also, it wouldn't fit in the corvette or our cars or the gto, lol
Old 08-02-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Grimes
they stopped putting the lt1 in vehicles by the mid nineties as far as I know.

DOHC would be cool - but think about how much a cam swap would cost
-also, it wouldn't fit in the corvette or our cars or the gto, lol
True...the swaps would be expensive. But think about it this way...DOHC, with that kind of flow...man. 450-500 rwhp would probably be pretty easy NA on a cammed car without even going too extreme. I think that it would be a cost you could justify. Think of how much money it would cost to get an LS1 to compete with a cammed 6.0 liter, DOHC VVTed engine. A hell of a lot.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:21 AM
Pathological Modifier

If they went DOHC, it would probly be a 4.6L
Old 08-03-2004, 08:05 AM
Staging Lane

I think I give engines the kiss of death. They stopped producing 5.0s when I bought my '94 GT, around '99. Now, I bought my Trans Am, and they will stop producing LS1s. If you want a DOHC 6.0...why not look @ the LT5 for comparison. It was 5.7...But I guess it was on the expensive side.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Personally, I like the good old pushrod V8's. The bigger the better.

To me, what DOHC is to a Chevy V8... is what inline-four is to Harley. I hope to never see either.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

But think about it this way...DOHC, with that kind of flow...man. 450-500 rwhp would probably be pretty easy NA on a cammed car without even going too extreme.
Isn't the stock LS2 advertized at 400hp? If the LS2 is as underrated as the LS1's were, 450-500hp should be easily attainable with a fairly mild cam and some bolt-ons.

Think of how much money it would cost to get an LS1 to compete with a cammed 6.0 liter, DOHC VVTed engine. A hell of a lot.
I'd bet you could buy a supercharger and cam for an LS2 for alot less than the cams/headwork/compresssion it would take to make the same power with a DOHC VVTed setup.
If 350+ci. DOHC was the best way to make power, you'd think all the Ford boys would be spankin' every modded LS1 car with their stroked, DOHC 5.4's by now. Instead, they need a blower on their 4.6's just to keep up with nearly stock LS1 cars.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by peteZ
Isn't the stock LS2 advertized at 400hp? If the LS2 is as underrated as the LS1's were, 450-500hp should be easily attainable with a fairly mild cam and some bolt-ons.

I'd bet you could buy a supercharger and cam for an LS2 for alot less than the cams/headwork/compresssion it would take to make the same power with a DOHC VVTed setup.
If 350+ci. DOHC was the best way to make power, you'd think all the Ford boys would be spankin' every modded LS1 car with their stroked, DOHC 5.4's by now. Instead, they need a blower on their 4.6's just to keep up with nearly stock LS1 cars.
I actually meant to say rwhp. It doesn't matter. GM will never build it. I would enjoy it too much.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:01 AM
On The Tree

Although the ls1 is a powerhouse, it has brought me more headaches and $$$ than my girlfriends kid. GM will do good..... OUT WITH THE OLD...IN WITH THE NEW!!!! Not just on ls1's...hehe
Old 08-04-2004, 02:06 AM
TECH Resident

They will continue to make 5.7 crate motors for a long time. THey still sell crate motors for pre-1986 vehicles.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:59 AM
TECH Addict

Good call, Bowtieman... I forgot how popular these motors are with the hot-rod guys.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bowtieman4life
They will continue to make 5.7 crate motors for a long time. THey still sell crate motors for pre-1986 vehicles.
The LS1/LS6 is also a popular engine in marine applications.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:11 PM
Launching!

I had a 2000GT and the cost of modding it was expensive for the return I got. Imagine screwing with 4 cams and that nasty 20 foot timing chain. Not to metion the 4.6 didn't get into the good power until I was in the high 3,000 RPM range. With my Camaro I have much more pull from the bottom end and I know I would have walked away without breaking a sweat from my old GT.

If you think about it. There is no way Chevy would give us the DOHC. First thing they would have to overcome is the sheer size of those DOHC heads. And the cost of upgrading them would be insane. If we got our wish it would probably be a variant of the Northstar engine. I'm not that old yet.

Could you imagine the havoc we would cause with 5.7 liter DOHC.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jrivera04
I had a 2000GT and the cost of modding it was expensive for the return I got. Imagine screwing with 4 cams and that nasty 20 foot timing chain. Not to metion the 4.6 didn't get into the good power until I was in the high 3,000 RPM range. With my Camaro I have much more pull from the bottom end and I know I would have walked away without breaking a sweat from my old GT.

If you think about it. There is no way Chevy would give us the DOHC. First thing they would have to overcome is the sheer size of those DOHC heads. And the cost of upgrading them would be insane. If we got our wish it would probably be a variant of the Northstar engine. I'm not that old yet.

Could you imagine the havoc we would cause with 5.7 liter DOHC.
I wish honda would make a 6 liter DOHC V8...
Old 08-04-2004, 04:29 PM
Launching!

well it looks like they are going to keep making them for a little while

GEN III 5.7L V-8 (LS1 and LS6) 2005 Engines Revisions

ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL FOR HOLDEN LS1

LS1s built for Holden are now equipped with electronic throttle control (ETC), replacing a conventional mechanical throttle. In the Holden LS1, there is no mechanical link between the accelerator pedal and the throttle. A potentiometer at the pedal measures pedal angle and sends a signal to the powertrain control module (PCM); the PCM evaluates this data and relays commands to a Throttle Actuator Module on the throttle body, which in turn directs an electric motor to open the throttle plate at the appropriate rate and angle. The entire process occurs in milliseconds.

ETC delivers a number of benefits to the customer. Besides throttle pedal angle, the PCM measures other data, including the transmission’s shift patterns and traction at the drive wheels, in determining how far to open the throttle. ETC delivers outstanding throttle response and greater reliability than a mechanical connection, which typically uses a cable that requires adjustment — and sometimes breaks. Cruise control electronics are integrated in the throttle, further improving reliability and response time, and simplifying engine assembly.

The Holden ETC was adapted from the system used on Powertrain’s Gen III Vortec truck V-8s. It uses the same 75-mm throttle body, with an integrated “wraparound” throttle motor. The electric motor that operates the throttle plate is literally built around the throttle body for immediate throttle response, maximum reliability and simplified engine assembly.

FLOATING-PIN PISTONS

The 5.7L LS1 and LS6 V-8s are equipped with new floating-pin pistons. First introduced on GM Powertrain’s Vortec 6000 H.0. V-8, these pistons feature wrist pins that “float” inside the rod bushing and the pin bores in the piston barrel. Previously, the LS1 and LS6 used a fixed-pin assembly, in which the connecting rod is fixed to the piston’s wrist pin, and the pin rotates in the pin bore. Snap rings now retain the wrist pin in the piston, while the rod moves laterally on a bushing around the pin. The floating pins were introduced as an interim change late in the 2004 model year.

The pistons, piston rings and connecting rods are identical to those used previously. The new floating-pin assembly allows tighter pin to pin-bore tolerances and reduces noise. The LS6 pistons were already validated for 200,000 miles of operation. The floating-pin pistons should extend durability even further and reduce operational noise, even in brief, limited circumstances the customer may not notice.

RATE-BASED DIAGNOSTICS FOR LS6

The LS6 V-8’s P59 powertrain control module (PCM) uses a new monitoring protocol known as rate-based diagnostics. Rate-based diagnostics improve the robustness of the Onboard Diagnostics System (OBD II) and ensure optimal performance of emissions control systems.

With rate-based diagnostics, the PCM applies a new formula to manage OBD II. Essentially, new software increases the frequency at which the PCM checks various engine systems, and particularly emissions control systems such as the catalytic converter, oxygen sensors and positive crankcase ventilation (PVC) system. Rate-based diagnostics more reliably monitor real-word operation of these systems, and allow regulatory agencies to more easily measure and certify emissions compliance. The new protocol allows the LS6 to meet more stringent OBD II requirements two years ahead of a mandate by the California Air Resources Board.

Quick Reply: Will GM quit building the LS1 engine