Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bolt off, now I cant get the pulley!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bolt off, now I cant get the pulley!

Ok, I got the flywheel locked and I got the bolt off (man, it was tight). I have a three jaw puller that I rented, but I don't see how to get it on. I'm not 100% sure where the jaws are suppose to mount, but either way I don't see how I'm gonna get it on there. Basically, I guess that I have to hold the three arms in place while I tighten it, which seems very.... impossible.

Any suggestions would be great.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Make sure the pulley arms can fit behind the pulley - some arms have hooks that are too thick. If so, you need a different puller.... Putting three arms behind the pulley is easier if you have another set of hands to help...

The fun part is putting the old pulley back on.... I suggest you give this serious thought before proceeding,,,,, buy a pulley installer from www.jcw.com for $27 or make sure you have a bolt that is at least 1/2 inch longer than the stock crank pulley bolt....

Do this or risk stripping the crank threads...
Old 08-03-2004, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm doing it right now. I have the hooks around the inner part of the pulley now.

This may be a stupid question, but is it possible to pull the crankshaft out of position (pull snout further, out towards the front).

I started pulling it some, and I thought about that. I just am scared to proceed until I get an answer, because I will cry, literally cry (lol) if I mess anything up.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:02 PM
TECH Veteran

It is not possible to pull the crank out of position; the puller center stud (threaded rod) pushes the crank in and the arms pull the pulley out....all this with the same force....

You may need to put something in between the center stud (threaded rod) on the pulley and the end of the crankshaft if the center stud (threaded rod) is not large enough in diameter,,,, I used a 3/8 drive socket that fit inside the pulley hub; the socket extension hole was small enough to prevent the center stud (threaded rod) from going into the bolt hole in the crank ...In my case this was necessary to avoid damaging the threads that are cut on the inside of the crank - where the crank bolt goes....

Just a thought....

The first couple of turns will be a BITCH but later on the pulley gets easier as it looses its grip on the crank... use some thin oil to lube the puller, crank and pulley...
Old 08-03-2004, 05:22 PM
Launching!

I just fiished mine this weekend,and posted about the results and how I did it.Make sure you can see the three little tabs around the inner part of pulley.Hook on them.Therefore the jaws of puller are facing towards the center of crank,and not trying to hook on back of pulley.I found it easier if I grabbed the pullers threaded rod;then , while holding the bolt end with the other hand,open up your other hand spreading the pullers arms using the back parts of your fingures.Opening your hand at the front part of puller will close the other end around tabs if con figured properly.Very hard to explain,but this seemed to work very well.I kept the factory bolt installed loosley and pressed against it, backing it out as needed.Finally used a few washers to get the last little bit.The socket idea mentioned above is a good way also.
Good luck
Jay
Old 08-03-2004, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got pissed and took a sawzall to mine..couldnt get it off so i cut the pulley apart..as in i cut the three "legs" that attatch the hub to the actuall pulley. when it was all done all i had was a nub of a center of a pulley left..(about 3 inches in diameter..I could get my puller on it then!!!!!!!!i dont recommend this,i have a temper and then i had to buy a used pulley..i didnt care it was cheap and i phucked with the old one for an hour before i broke out the saw on it. it was worth the money as i cussed out loud while sawing the **** out of the pulley yelling out whos your daddy whos your daddy. after the last "leg" got cut what was left of the pulley fell to the garage floor and i picked it up,told it what i thought of it and threw it across the road..then i proceeded to take my nub off the crank..i may have issues but i got the mother off of there.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heh.....you're nuts redbandit. Whatever you do, when you get ready to put it back together, don't use red loctite. Talk about a bitch getting the bolt off again in the future.
Use blue loctite. And do yourself a favor and change out the crank seal while your at it. Mine started leaking a month after putting on an ASP pulley and not changing the seal.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Redbandit, we have a lot in common.

I don't know how many times I flipped my wig and threw things in the woods over here. I get even more p***ed when I find out that I have to go walk out there and find something. I've learned to get up and just walk around first.

I'm trying to gather every possible tool available to lessen the chances of something like this happening during my cam install this weekend.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:50 AM
On The Tree

I like redbandits story... I didn't cut mine but i yelled the same thing at it after i got it off there... Put a socket or something of that nature in the crank to give it a couple rotations....
Old 08-06-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

snap on tools sells a puller specificly designed for gen 3 engines i bought one and it works great