Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two springs removed in two hours....

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two springs removed in two hours....

I've got my cam in and all I have left is changing the springs and reassembly. I figured in three hours I could have the springs done, and I'ld get a nights rest and reassemble everything in about two hours and fire it up in the morning.

I SPENT TWO HOURS AND I'VE GOT TWO SPRINGS OFF!
Getting the springs off is somewhat easy, but compressing them to reinstall the locks is daggum near impossible. I tried compressing it off the valve stem and when I sit it over the valve it fricking shoots off and sends the retainer flying every which way. I try compressing the spring when its already over the valve and the same thing happens. Once I managed to get 1 lock caught in there, but the other one went flying when the compressor let the spring go. So, thats my last lock from all 4 that were removed. I'm not very good at this.... but it just seems this compressor I got SUCKS! Anyone else have this problem?

BTW, its a loaner from Autozone.

What do I need to get the job done here....?
I'm beginning t think I'ld have better luck using the three jaw puller on compress the springs. LOL!
Old 08-06-2004, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

Fab yourself up a type of "Larry tool" to compress the springs and they should go on with ease. What kind of springs are you putting on? 918's or duals? I used the tool I made (I'm pretty sure you've seen it on the board somewhere) where you use the rocker bolt hole to compress the valve spring. It took me a little less than 5 hours, with a dinner break in between, to swap all 16 springs out with it.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:24 AM
FormerVendor

wow...i had a tough time my first time too, similar to how you described, but i sat out for about an hour and thought about what i was doing and focused, i regret to inform you the harder part is getting the damn locks to go back into place and uncompressing the spring w/ the lock still in there...after i figured out how to do it, it seemed like it took less time to finish the last eight than it did to do the first two so things start to go smoothly once you figure out the easiest way to do it, i was lucky enough to have Joseph at Texas Speed spot me one of his spring compressors because i couldnt find one anywhere, Thanks again Joseph, the tool im gonna use next week on a buddy's car is the larry tool, its simple and can be made pretty easily but as far as making the springs any quicker im not sure yet...hope this helps
Old 08-06-2004, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I must say I've need the larry tool mentioned but I have never seen one. Can I get the larry tool, or something similar at a parts store?

I'm putting LS6 springs on btw. If I had something that would actually compress the spring and HOLD IT COMPRESSED w/o shooting objects off at high speeds, I could be through by now.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-06-2004, 06:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

check out the tool at vinci high performance sponsor---->
I used it on my last spring swap and it worked wonders!
also when your putting the locks on the valves put a dab of grease on the inside of the lock, this will help it stick to the valve without falling off.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks!

Alright.... the little grooves on the locks point up, right?
Old 08-06-2004, 08:18 AM
On The Tree

put grease on the locks so they stick to the valve stem
Old 08-06-2004, 08:21 AM
FormerVendor

Another vote for the Vinci tool
Old 08-06-2004, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

you just gotta get yourself a better tool. i went the cheap route, and made a tool like the larry tool. i bought it from napa for $7 or something like that. cut it down to fit under to cowl, and changed all the springs effortlessly. do yourself a huge favor and have a buddie take to you napa to get a lever style spring compressor
Old 08-06-2004, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

All I've ever used is the ShittoZone rental. When you look at the compressor, you'll see that one "arm" is longer than the other. Make sure thats on the lower of the two sides of the spring, so the compressor is on straight. It can go on backwards and will work like crap. Also make sure that the arms are snapped onto the spring coils so they cant popp off.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:08 AM
Sweet Cheeks

More performance here. It's bad ***. First time doing springs and it was a breeze. It REALLY helps is you stand between the motor and radiator. Trust me
Old 08-06-2004, 11:22 AM
10 Second Club

The "Larry Tool" is by far the easiest and best spring tool I've ever used.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I called napa and for 16 bucks I'm getting the lever type.

He's gonna have it in a couple hours!

This will
A) Hopefully really hold the spring
B) Give me more room to grab locks and put them back in.

Plus, a local engine shop just told me to come buy and get a handful of locks b/c the dealership can't have any until monday.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, newest problem.....

I just went to a cylinder head shop to pick up some replacement locks and they gave me some locks (I told hte guy what engine I had). They are a little longer than the stock locks... is this a problem? Should I not use these?
Old 08-06-2004, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by derek_silvy
Alright, newest problem.....

I just went to a cylinder head shop to pick up some replacement locks and they gave me some locks (I told hte guy what engine I had). They are a little longer than the stock locks... is this a problem? Should I not use these?
You'll have to get them from a GM dealership. LS1 valves are smaller in diameter and need special locks. Also, they have round grooves, not square. Dont use them
Old 08-06-2004, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome!!!
This hole thing has been one headache, but you just have sure been lots of help! Thanks for that!

I got one of the leverage type compressors from napa, and guess what.... when I compress the spring, its sliding against the valve and has even scraped it! I ordered some from GM, so woohoo... 25 bucks down the drain!

This valve spring compressor is easier, but I don't see how I can keep moving the valve spring so it won't scrape, keep it compressed, and put the locks on. SIGH....
Old 08-07-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Like it has already been said, put some grease on the inside of the retainer locks, that way when you go to put them back on the valve stem, they just stay put. Also, buy a bolt (M8x1.25) that is about 3" long, and buy a nut to go with it. Instead of using your weight/force to compress the spring, you just tighten the nut and it will hold the spring compressed for you. Untighten the nut when you're ready to uncompress the spring.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

as you compress the spring, use a long screwdriver or tap with a hammer to keep the spring centered. I made a "how to" modify the autozone lever tool (prolly same as napa) to make it work a lot better and safer from snaping bolts off in the head.

http://groups.msn.com/KenandMandysPa...oto&PhotoID=27

remember to be careful. you don't want to snap a bolt in the head.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:41 PM
10 Second Club

the valve spring tool from VHP will compress 2 valve springs at the same time. made from billet steel, it won't bend or flex around. won't snap any bolts off in the head either. won't be scratching the valves or head. http://www.vincihighperformance.com/superwebdeals.HTML there might still be the LSTECH.COM GP still going on for it also. call them and make sure you mention the GP and get these springs out of your hair. most people are getting them done in under an hour with it.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:55 PM
Launching!

i originally bought a spring tool like the loaner you are using from autozone. It seemed to work fine to take of single springs, but absolutely would not work for duals. So i bought the spring tool vinci performance sells. It worked great. Still look me like 6 hours though (number 8 took about an hour and a half and about an hour on number 7)

Next time i do a spring install i will use it again and get some new nuts and bolts though.