Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started my cam install!!! got a question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Started my cam install!!! got a question

finally got to it! following the instructions from ls1howto.com. im now just waiting on the pulley puller and the valve spring compressor. ive decided that anything on the passengers side is a bitch! my knuckles are all bruised and bloody. one thing im not sure about though. where is the starter, and what exactly am i looking for? in the write up it says the rear passengers side of the engine. should i be underneath or looking for it from the top?and like i said, what do i look for? thanks, and wish me luck. everything is going smooth so far!
Old 08-09-2004, 01:30 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you'll need to be underneath the car, like stated its attached near the rear of the passsenger side block. when you remove it you should see the the teeth on the flexplate, you gotta jam a screw driver in to hold the flexplate from moving. or you can buy the proper flexplate locking tool. lets just say i like my 6sp better . took me and charlie a few tries to lock the flexplate when we did his cam swap.

starter

Old 08-09-2004, 01:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks jerami, that will give me something to do while i wait for that damn puller!
Old 08-09-2004, 04:13 AM
TECH Addict

Question

Thunder, what pulley puller did you order, and where did you order it?
Old 08-09-2004, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks again jerami, i got the starter off today and now its locked. the pic really helped. Predator, i didnt buy a puller. a friend of mine does dirt track racing, so they are always tearing aprt engines and happen to have a 3 arm puller. just waiting on him!
Old 08-10-2004, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm at no way trying to offend you man... I say this with the most respect for the fellow home mechanic I can.... but.... If you don't know what a starter looks like and where it is, are you SURE you want to go tearing the engine halfway apart?

I myself was uncomfortable and I have moderate experience turning a wrench.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

no offense takin man, i was half expecting that answer as soon as i posted that, (especially from jrp, lol). when i was trying to figure it out on my own, i just wasn't sure if i was looking at the right part, (i was) and i didnt want to unbolt something that im going to regret having done so later. i figured i would take it slow while i was waiting on the puller and ask on here. i feel this site is a great place to learn all about these engines and what makes them work, but i also believe that there is no substitute for experience and the knowledge gained through it. besides, its not like im gonna get anything else done without that puller or a valve spring compressor, might as well try to be as sure as possible. the rest of the install makes sense to me and i can easily understand what i need to do. ill admit, i dont have much experience doing this stuff, but how else will i acquire it?
Old 08-10-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think if you will learn a TON doing your own swap. Just take your time and do exactly what you did, ask questions before doing something. You'll be fine. Good luck!
Old 08-10-2004, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

go up to autozone and rent their harmonic balancer puller for chryslers, pay $70 and then get that back when your done, it worked wonders and fit like a glove
Old 08-10-2004, 12:09 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's some advice....buy some Mechanix gloves. I won't work on my engine anymore w/o them. Too many sharp metal / plastic things under there and my hands end up looking like I got in a fight.

Good luck finishing the install!
Old 08-10-2004, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Luck Walter, be sure to keep us posted on your progress. Another thing about doing your own work is the reward that once it's running stronger than ever, you know you did it
J
Old 08-10-2004, 01:06 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Predator
Thunder, what pulley puller did you order, and where did you order it?

if there is a local autozone around, you can rent a pulley puller, and valvespring tool for free along w/ alotta other tools such as strut spring compressors if your gonna lower your car....just give them the deposit and you'll get it back when you return it..
Old 08-10-2004, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks guys! i did buy some of those gloves, unfortunately it was after the teardown, so i dont know if ill even need them now. we finally got the puller, but its too big! so i guess if we dont find a smaller one we will just have to go rent one. thanks a lot for the good advice and the encouragement, its definitely helpful. i hope to be done by tomorrow evening at the latest, (im kinda slow). then its off to get my headers on and my torque converter in! thanks again!!
Old 08-10-2004, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Keep up the good work Thunder!
Old 08-10-2004, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Walter. glad to hear your finally getting your hands dirty and putting in the cam. Which spring compressor did you go with? When are you getting your headers and converter installed? Oh, and about the beat up hands, I can testify to that. It looked like I went 10 rounds with Tyson in a street fight after my first cam/spring install. Good luck with the install.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:42 PM
Launching!

yep, i think a $20 pair of mechanix gloves is a good investment. they saved my hands from many cuts and i can also get a better grip on things to torque or untorque things better. Even though my hands were protected, my arms were tore up.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well, i just got all cleaned up from todays work. im very pleased with what we got done. we got the pulley pulled, oil pump removed, the cam changed (probably the easiest part), and the timing chain replaced. yeah jonathon, i sure am getting my hands dirty!! filthy is more like it, but oh well. its worth it. the guy thats helping me has about 4 different spring compressors, so im just going to use whatever works for whichever spring. im hoping my converter is in by thursday so i can have it done by next week. gonna start at about eight tomorrow on the springs and hopefully be done with everything by early evening if not sooner. ill keep posting my progress! thanks
Old 08-10-2004, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh yeah, one more question. the front seal in the timing cover. how do you get that in there? just hammer it in or what? thanks.

and for anyone that is planning on changing their cam, a 5/16" metal rod works like a charm to keep the lifters from falling.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by God of Thunder
oh yeah, one more question. the front seal in the timing cover. how do you get that in there? just hammer it in or what? thanks.

and for anyone that is planning on changing their cam, a 5/16" metal rod works like a charm to keep the lifters from falling.
block of wood and hammer
Old 08-10-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

alrighty, sounds like a plan.