Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam researching.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Cam researching.

It's about that time were i'm close to getting a cam as my next mod. I've read JRP's cam guide and understand a bit about it. I just can't understand what each of the numbers do as performance, peak and under the curve gains.

I have in mind anywhere from a 224-228 either with a 112 or 114LSA. Something that isn't small but isn't big either. My car is a daily driver as it has to remain that way.

With going to a bigger cam is there any more technical/mechanical maintenance i will need to do in order to keep the engine in top shape. Meaning things like springs and all the internals of the heads. If i go to 224-228 cams would i be replacing springs or any other thing inside the heads like regular maintenance stuff?

If there is anything i need to know other then what i can find in JRPs cam guide let me know. Also with the mods in sig but adding a S2 Ported TB and maybe a ASP UD Pulley what would I expect to gain from the cam sizes i listed.

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

well, its a good idea to stay in the 224-228 duration range if your car is a daily driver. as far as replacing parts, its a good idea to upgrade your springs and retainers...as well as your pushrods. you will probably be ok with a single spring, like a comp 918, although a lotta guys like to go the safe route and get dual springs for added support and durability. as far as maintenance goes, id make sure you do a good heat cycle on your new springs, drive it a few hundred miles, do another oil change, and drive it like u stole it. but do remember to let your car warm up to operating temp before u really get on it....from now on...if u havent up til now with an a4, though most m6 cars need it too, u will definitely need a good tune...especially since yours is a daily driver. this will straighten out your idle, as well as fix your a/f ratio...which will most likely be off after dumping that additional amount of fuel. anyway, after all my research on this topic, id say that about does it. im sure some of the experts are gonna chime in too...but thats wut i got. good luck man...u will love the difference
Old 08-10-2004, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

go to ls1howto.com if you plan to install it yourself. it even has another guide to help you little more in your decision. good luck and let us know what you decide
Old 08-10-2004, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

oh yeah, might wanna think about upgrading your timing chain. they got a double rollermaster (i believe its called) a lot of guys seem to be happy with. your car is an 01 so...depending on mileage...your oil pump should be fine. good luck man
Old 08-10-2004, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I researched the heck out of my cam choice on this forum. This is what I did for a daily driver 2001 6 speed Z28:

TSP (Comp XER) 224/.581/112 LSA Cam
Patriot Gold Dual Springs with new valve seals, hardened seats, titanium retainers, & super 7 locks
TSP Hardened 7.400 pushrods
Rollmaster Dual Timing Chain

I did my own install and used the 5/16" rods to hold up the lifters. Only problem I had was getting the oil pump back on without pinching the new pickup tube O-ring.

Car wouldn't idle worth a darn until I screwed in the idle screw a good turn and reset the TPS. Still had a tendency to hunt and die occasionally. Finally I got a tune and it idles and runs great now. Really like the cam. Pulls really strong up high.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:32 PM
Teching In

I too have been looking at doing a new cam setup. Is it recommended to do this on a car with 103,000 miles with no problems? I just tuned it. Possibly PM because I don't want to steal the thread.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

i wouldnt....but thats just me. not unless u are gonna inspect your bottom end really well....and possibly replace it
Old 08-11-2004, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

I'm no expert with A4 cam choices, but my 224228 581 112 +2 XER works outstanding on my full weight 6M. See sig, I've run 117.5 on street tires, which I think is really good, especially with stock suspension and extra full weight, I weigh 225.
I'd go with the Patriot dual valve springs, Comp push rods. There is a process of raising the idle by "fooling" the tps position. There's a link somewhere. That would get you by. Everyone, including myself, has drilled the TB hole, but that's not the correct fix. I shift at 6600.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

im also researching cams for my 02ws6 a4 i have decided to go with a g1 from mti and theyre stage 2 heads mti said the g1 is perfect for my goals which is the exact same as your
Old 08-11-2004, 11:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I researched cams for almost a full year before I settled on mine... just make sure that you research very carefully and find a cam that will suit your needs. A 224-228 type of cam are great "jack of all trades" cams because they're not too big, not too small, produce great power, and can be made to idle and drive very well.

I'm very happy with my cam... it's a little bigger than I thought I would ever go, but after doing lots of research and hearing cams first hand, I decided to go with the TSP 231/237. It's definitely not a stealthy setup, but it sounds mean... and with a custom tune, it idles and drives great.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:57 PM
Launching!

I am looking at the G1 also. They said the power it makes would help me get that 10sec slip I am hoping to get this winter.
Originally Posted by bad0211secws6
im also researching cams for my 02ws6 a4 i have decided to go with a g1 from mti and theyre stage 2 heads mti said the g1 is perfect for my goals which is the exact same as your